File saving very slow

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaLarry

File saving very slow

Post by DaLarry »

I'm a long time computer/windows user and elder (67) geek but have decided to investigate the brave new world of Linux. I've just installed Linux Mint on a computer I use mainly as a media server for my music collection. It is a P4 3.04Ghz with hyperthreading, 4GB of memory, and 4 HD's and 1.7TB free. I am dual booting Windows 7 and LM but installed LM into it's own 240GB ext3 partition. I am pretty impressed with LM so far but I have noticed that it takes an inordinately long time to save a file. In the beginning because it took so long I assumed the File Browser had hung or crashed and would terminate the program. I then decided to wait to see if anything would happen and I timed several operations with a stop watch and it takes a minimum of 2 minutes and 35 seconds from the time I click on "save" or "save as" for the filename/Save/Save As dialog box to appear. What is that all about? Anybody have any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
piratesmack

Re: File saving very slow

Post by piratesmack »

Are you connected to the internet wireless or wired?

Can you post the output of 'lspci -vvnn' (Just the Network section)
DaLarry

Post by DaLarry »

My internet connection is wireless.

06:01.0 Network controller [0280]: RaLink RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g [1814:0302]
Subsystem: Device [16ef:9261]
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 22
Memory at d2010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: rt61pci
Kernel modules: rt61pci
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I'd try updating your kernel.

Read Kendall's How To on that:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185
DaLarry

Post by DaLarry »

piratesmack wrote:I'd try updating your kernel.

Read Kendall's How To on that:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185
I did, but no joy. No difference in save times. I installed LM on my wife's laptop at the same time but it doesn't exhibit this behaviour. Peculiar.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Are you using WEP?
If so, see if switching to WPA helps at all.

I found a bug report from somebody having problems with the same wireless and WEP.
Switching to WPA fixed it for them.

As a last resort, you can try using the Windows XP driver with Ndiswrapper
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper
DaLarry

Post by DaLarry »

piratesmack wrote:Are you using WEP?
If so, see if switching to WPA helps at all.

I found a bug report from somebody having problems with the same wireless and WEP.
Switching to WPA fixed it for them.

As a last resort, you can try using the Windows XP driver with Ndiswrapper
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... diswrapper
Just trying to learn me a little somethin' here. What's the clue that suggests the problem is with my wireless connection or security protocol or driver? I've always used WPA and my wife's laptop which has LM installed from the same disc has a wireless connection as well, but has no problem with the file browser. This also gives me a small idea. I'll disconnect from the internet, reboot, test the File Browser, see what affect, if any, that has, and report back.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Is it also slow when copying files to the harddrive (From an external harddrive, CDROM, etc)? Or only when downloading files from the internet?

I assumed the latter, which is why I thought there might be a problem with your wireless.

Do webpages load at normal speed?
DaLarry

Post by DaLarry »

piratesmack wrote:Is it also slow when copying files to the harddrive (From an external harddrive, CDROM, etc)? Or only when downloading files from the internet?

I assumed the latter, which is why I thought there might be a problem with your wireless.

Do webpages load at normal speed?
It's plenty quick with almost every other function, including file downloads and transfers, and web browsing. I had the Masters streaming on ESPN the last two days while working on my production machine. There is no problem with "cut and paste" or "copy and past"; just "save" and "save as". I've been benchmarking it against Win 7 Pro because I want a "quieter" OS to host and play my music collection. This problem is more of a curiosity than a big deal because I'm not going to use this system much for document production and it doesn't show up on the other system where I've installed LM. However, as Yul Bryner says: "Is a puzzlement!" BTW trying it disconnected from the internet had no effect. Whatever....
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Oh wow, I misunderstood you.
Sorry about that :oops:

When you said file saving was slow, I thought you meant downloading files from the internet.
But after re-reading your post I understand.

That's strange, I've never seen this problem before.
I'm afraid I don't have a solution.

Return to “Software & Applications”