helena connects to internet, winxp pro does not

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgmint

helena connects to internet, winxp pro does not

Post by borgmint »

I duel boot with linux mint helena and winxp pro sr2. With helena firefox lets me online, while windows xp does not. The windows control panel says that i am connected at 100mbs, but firefox, and other internet apps will not connect. (icq, etc). What do i check?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: helena connects to internet, winxp pro does not

Post by eiver »

Very interesting. Did XP work before and suddenly stopped working or do you have this problem right from the beginning? From the speed you mentioned I assume you have a wired connection? Do you use any firewall software?

Open Windows console (START -> Run..., type cmd in the box and hit enter).
Type the command: ipconfig /all
and post results on the forum.

Type ping linuxmint.com
and tell us if you get a response

Type ping 85.25.140.189
and tell us if you get a response

Virus possibility: If you just installed XP and connected to the Internet (and you have a public IP) there is a risk that a virus got installed due to numerous vulnerabilities in the system. This happened to my friend once - the virus was installed even before he was able to connect to windows update.
In that case before windows boots hit F8 to go to the emergency menu. Choose option Safe mode with networking, so only minimal set of libraries will be loaded. This temporarily disables most (but not all) viruses. Then tell us if the internet started to work.

You can also use Linux to check for viruses on windows partition, but someone else has to tell you how to exactly do that.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Whats your internet connection? Wired or wireless? are you connected via a router?
Have you got a firewall installed in Windows?
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

glad i swtiched to LM :) . u shud try get some help also in windows forum site

Return to “Software & Applications”