Sounds issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SeanBest

Sounds issues

Post by SeanBest »

So I recently decided to install and try out Audacious. Didn't really like it so I uninstalled it. Ever since I removed it, my sound randomly goes out. Playing streams online, or playing mp3 from my music folders and even playing a cd from the drive. Using Rythmobx right now, but the issue also happens in VLC, sound issue also happens in Firefox and Google Chrome. Sometimes it goes out a few seconds into a song, other times it'll play a few songs before messing up (stopping). And today it stopped while playing a song on MySpace then started making random beeping/buzzing sounds which I had to reboot to stop.

I installed and removed Audacious using Synaptic as well.

Another weird note, just mousing over a music file in my folders, it plays the song, sorta like a preview, not sure what program it uses to do that, but so far I've yet to have it stop playing or mess up when playing a song that way.

No idea what the heck has happened. Running Mint 8 x64, all updated.

Any suggestions? Not sure what other information to post, all pc specs are in sig.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Sounds issues

Post by Jay514 »

SeanBest wrote: Another weird note, just mousing over a music file in my folders, it plays the song, sorta like a preview, not sure what program it uses to do that, but so far I've yet to have it stop playing or mess up when playing a song that way.

No idea what the heck has happened. Running Mint 8 x64, all updated.
Well I use KDE/LXDE so it may differ somewhat from Gnome, but the action of the file playing that you describe, which is a preview of the file browser, in KDE the file browser ( Dolphin ) the settings can be changed by going menu, open dolphin, settings, configure dolphin.
More Here = http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_ ... er_Dolphin

In Gnome = You may find the info HERE = http://library.gnome.org/users/user-gui ... us.html.en

I hope this helps, Have A Good Day.
SeanBest

Re: Sounds issues

Post by SeanBest »

I appreciate the reply, but I don't need to edit those settings. I was just mentioning the preview because it seems to be the only way to get reliable playback of any type of audio. All media players and web browsers randomly stop and skip and make weird sounds that cause me to have to restart.

Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”