Qt4 and files installed, Hello World kaboom.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Qt4 and files installed, Hello World kaboom.

Postby justyellowboy on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Step-by-step instructions on what I did;
Prereq1) Install Mint: SUCCESS!
Prereq2) Install Geany, Qt4 library files, and G++ Compiler through Synaptic: SUCCESS, BABY! (Why does the latter not come pre-installed with Mint?)
Prereq3) Check out the super cool Qt Hello World tutorial: SUCCESS!
Prereq4) Open Geany and make a .cpp file with the Hello-World example: SUCCESS!

I'm ready to make this thing! Before I compile, I'll check that the files are there!
  • /usr/include/qt4/QtGui/QApplication (and its .h twin) IT'S THERE, YO!
  • /usr/include/qt4/QtGui/QLabel (and its .h twin) IT'S THERE, YO!
  • I assume the rest of the includes are there, and I checked them.

I assume this should be very easy.

"Error on that line that says #include <QApplication>: No such file/directory"

Why do I have to be specific about this?! Well, how about...

#include <usr/include/qt4/QtGui/QApplication>

"I liek this but...
Compile Error: QtGui/QtCore/qcoreapplication.h: No such file or directory."

:| What.

Is there some sort of misunderstanding in how the headers were developed?
Am I going to have to go back and work with each one?

EDIT: Not that I really should have to, but I gave it a shot. I don't want to do anything as root, these things should work together like they should. IT INFURIATES ME I MUST SHOUT AT THE SKY ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AAAA I MUST INSTALL MORE PACKAGES EVEN THOUGH THAT'S A BAD IDEA AND ONE I'D RATHER NOT DO
justyellowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Qt4 and files installed, Hello World kaboom.

Postby vincent on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Hmmm...just a side question, is there any reason you can't use a shell script? Or even write up a piece of C/C++ code and running that instead? I don't see why you need Qt4 to run a "Hello world" type of program, and if you actually want to write Qt4 programs and full-fledged applications and the like, you'd do better to work with an IDE, e.g. Code::Blocks or Netbeans.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Qt4 and files installed, Hello World kaboom.

Postby justyellowboy on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:44 pm

vincent wrote:Hmmm...just a side question, is there any reason you can't use a shell script? Or even write up a piece of C/C++ code and running that instead? I don't see why you need Qt4 to run a "Hello world" type of program, and if you actually want to write Qt4 programs and full-fledged applications and the like, you'd do better to work with an IDE, e.g. Code::Blocks or Netbeans.

You could say some aspects of Qt have "felt right" to the extent that designing user interfaces is really easy and the only part I need to do after that is link them together. Qt is very cross-platform, and its idea of "one source different interpreters" is rather appealing to me. It's supposed to be software that actually helps you get the job done, not just provide a means of producing it. Well, it's supposed to, anyway.

I have proper books and tutorials to help me get better, it's very obvious that I'm doing nothing special with a Hello World program, but it should be made clear that it's a start for teaching myself how to work with something I admire.
justyellowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications