Runnin Blnder Publisher 2.25 on Cassandra

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Runnin Blnder Publisher 2.25 on Cassandra

Postby gmureddu on Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:03 pm

Hello all...

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any answer if it has. In such a case, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.

The problem I'm having is that I need to be able to run this fairly old version of Blender, as at the lab I work we're running Cassandra (XFCE edition) and Blender, and particularly this older version, is the only one which can actually import VRML V2 files without many issues (we are not aware of any other FLOSS or proprietary application that can import these files for further manipulation), however upon decompressing the tarball (located here) and trying to run it, it becomes evident that it requires a rather "obscure" library dependency: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 (I highlighted the trailing part of the name, as there doesn't seem to be any library by that name in the repositories). The libstdc++ version shipped with Cassandra seems to be libstdc++.so.6.0.8 (part of GLibC 2.5), and symlinking to this with the name Blender expects results in a symbols lookup error (obviously). We are at a loss with this matter...

Any help will be much appreciated.

TIA!
gmureddu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby gmureddu on Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:19 am

I know what I am missing now... So it happens that the library Blender 2.25 needs to run with, is available for Red Hat and Fedora distributions under the name of compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-138, i.e, as part of the gcc 2.96 compatibility libraries... What's the package in Debian-slang which contains these libs??
gmureddu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gmureddu on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:30 pm

Well, so I set out and got the package for Fedora and "installed" it on Cassandra (more like opened it with file-roller and extracted the files). The package contains two libraries (well one and a symlink):

/usr/lib/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
/usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

All I had to do was to copy the library and symlink to /usr/lib, and make the additional symlink for libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 to libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2-2.10.0.so, followed by an ldconfig. I wasn't able to locate a suitable Debian package and I was in a hurry... Maybe not the most elegant or best solution to my problem but, hey, it worked.
gmureddu
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications