Creating Users through the GUI not working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Creating Users through the GUI not working

Postby MDT on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:53 am

Ok,
I'm new at this, but I think I found a bug. When I created a new user on my fresh install of Linux Mint, it created the home directory correctly, and added all the 'windowesque' sub directories. However, that user can't access them because the install did not change the owner (ROOT is still owner). Since root is not a valid user with Mint (I can't login as root), I can't figure out how to change the directories to belong to that user. I can't even delete and recreate them...

:cry:

Help please?

MDT
MDT
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Fixed manually

Postby MDT on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:15 am

Ok, I figured out how to fix them manually by doing a websearch and then using SUDO CHOWN. So I guess this is just a bug report now, not a request for help...

Not sure why it happened...
MDT
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:56 am

when you log in with that user, what is the output of :

Code: Select all
echo $USER

?
Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Echo $user

Postby MDT on Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:04 am

Lady Luck brings added income today. Lady friend takes it away tonight.
james@mint:~$ echo $USER
james
james@mint:~$

PS: I love the little fortunes that pop up when terminal is activated...
MDT
Level 1
Level 1

answer

Postby zolly on Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:40 pm

I made a new user from System->Administration->Users and Groups->Add user, a wrote a Username and the Password. I open a Terminal, su mynewuser and I look inside its home with mc. I didn't see any problem. I made a Switch Users and I enter with the new user name. I open a Terminal and with mc I didn't see any problem with access.
Please write the steps you made to add a user and which folders are with problems.
zolly
Level 2
Level 2

Wierdness

Postby MDT on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:38 am

Well,
I created two new users on the machine, and they all had the correct permissions on their folders. I guess it was a glitch in the first users creation. Since I can't reproduce it, and since I used the same steps each time (Basically System-->Users and Groups-->Add User, Fill out form), I guess it's not all that important. If that's the only glitch I encounter, it's still about 8000% better than M$ junk. :)

MDT
MDT
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications