SOLVED - Cant see photos in Google Earth

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nickitson

SOLVED - Cant see photos in Google Earth

Post by nickitson »

Hi to all. First I'd like to add my thanks to the team for LM9. I'm really pleased with it.

This is curious, and while I can find some info on a range of fixes, I can't find one for my installation of Isadora.

Acer A110
16Gb SSD, 1Gb RAM.
Isadora full release installed from USB using DVD image.
All updates and a range of mainstream software added, Opera, Chromium, Stellarium etc, all from the Mint Software Manager.

Have also installed Google Earth 5.1.3533.1731 of 11/11/09 , which seems to operate fine with the exception of clicking on the photo place holders. This opens the white panoramio display box, but no image appears inside it, just a small google earth icon with 3 small dots on it. If I then click the white box, my browser opens up the panoramio site in Firefox and displays the photo as it should.

I've searched around and find that some attribute the issue to settings in a file qt.conf, which is supposed to reside in a google-earth folder and its suggested that the issue could be made to go away, without further detriment, by deleting the file with 'sudo rm /usr/share/googleearth/qt.conf'. My problem is that this file is reported not to exist here on my system, nor can I find it by searching anywhere else.

Can anyone give me a pointer on where or how to look for qt.conf, or even whether it exists for a software manager install of Google Earth, or if it will be named something else? Or has anyone else found and solved this for themselves already?

All and any help appreciated. Thanks greatly in advance.

SOLVED - After a lot of testing and playing around I have largely solved this by:

- Un-installing GE using the Mint software manager
- Re-booting and running Bleachbit (root) to force some tidying up
- Re-booting and downloading the GE bin file for LInux from the GE site
- Running the GE install using 'sh' and accepting default installation parameters

I now have a Google Earth install which shows Panoramio photographs in the pop box when photo icons are clicked on the main view! The folders I couldn't find above now exist. The only issue I now notice that fonts and icons on the GE menus look a little 'basic' (not as nice as the previous set). No doubt this is another subtle issue, but at least I now have a GE installation that works properly. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: SOLVED - Cant see photos in Google Earth

Post by Oscar799 »

Glad you found a solution :P

Return to “Software & Applications”