Notebook-gtk2 been broken for 2 years

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ezas

Notebook-gtk2 been broken for 2 years

Post by ezas »

I hope this is in the right place. I saw the packager sub forum but the description made it sound like it was more for package maintainers to exchange information.

I went to use Notebook-GTK2 from the repositories. It looked like the perfect lightweight note keeper. But alas nothing works. Its an empty UI shell. Looking at the bug reports its been broken for over two years and no one is maintaining it. Others have posted exactly what I'm putting here, it looks like a great little app but it doesn't do anything when run. Apparently it can be compiled with a flag that makes it work but I'd rather stick with packages from the repos and stay away from compiling my own apps. (plus I've never compiled anything, and I'm really spending too much time playing with distros as it is). I really need to stay 'standard' for when I need support from the community.

Sincere question as relative Linux newbie (desktop user, server user for longer). How do packages ever 'age' out of the repositories? Do they just keep getting added? Or if someone like me posts up like this do they get reviewed and culled out at some point? Seems strange to me to have broken and abandoned apps in the repos. It's not like this app has a little functionality, it has no functionality except you can open it and type text in a note. You can't even open a 2nd note and closing out and coming back in nothing is saved, not even the subject.

I'm bummed because it really was just what I was looking for. gorganizer was a no go, too student oriented. Sticky notes too simple. Tomboy notes, close, but like a pair of shoes that technically fit but just don't feel right.

Guess I will try evolution (really larger than I need) or get used to Tomboy notes, or look at some of the KDE offerings. No real good reason for it but I try to stick to GTK on Gnome and QT on KDE. But I do have a few Gnome apps running on KDE and they run fine. But I have my reasons but I'm getting off topic

Any other suggestions for apps to look at are welcomed. Primary need is Ad hoc note taking. Secondary is a lightweight calendar/To-do organizer.

Edited to say: Tried to leave a review in software manager but the app would not let me log in.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Notebook-gtk2 been broken for 2 years

Post by FedoraRefugee »

What kind of response are you looking for here? I am sorry your package was broken, I hope you find another that works. I am not a package maintainer so I am not sure what the procedure is. I would imagine that this is from the Ubuntu repo so this question might be better asked in their forum. Sorry I cannot be more definitive or helpful.

Welcome to Mint.

Return to “Software & Applications”