Backup Tool Fails-"An Error Occurred While Accessing The Fil

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
focalguy
Level 1
Level 1

Backup Tool Fails-"An Error Occurred While Accessing The Fil

Post by focalguy »

Backup Tool Fails-"An Error Occurred While Accessing The File"
It then stops responding and I have to force quit the application.

If I open the file in Gedit, it opens perfectly and I can see the list of programs. Any idea why the backup tool cannot open it? I thought maybe it was permissions so I did a chmod to 777 and that didn't help. The file was saved to my file server and now I am copying it back locally before running the backup tool.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DonnaFontenot

Re: Backup Tool Fails-"An Error Occurred While Accessing The

Post by DonnaFontenot »

I had the same problem (noted in my second message in this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=48144

For me, it was the software list.
focalguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by focalguy »

ikey, I was following the tutorial ( http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 ) upgrading from Mint 8 to 9. So the version I am using while restoring is the default install on 9. I also tried doing all updates the first time and this time I've reinstalled again and not run any updates before trying the software restore. The software restore is the issue.

Thanks for the link Donna. I'm surprised I didn't find that in my search. I saw another post that looked like I could use the command that you used to restore your files but use it with the list I created with the backup. But I as well would like to use the tool created for the job so I'm hoping I can figure out what is going wrong.
focalguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by focalguy »

I've been reading that the whole mint backup tool was not meant to be used to upgrade even though it is heavily implied in the tutorial I followed but I am just having trouble with the software restore. This was the major feature that made me want to try out upgrading. Is there no way to get this simple text file to be read?
focalguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by focalguy »

Alright, looks like I found the solution. It seems rather silly, but the first application listed in the file is 4l which I believe is for some lightscribe software. Anyways, it is the only one in the list that starts with a number instead of a letter. I took it out and the list loaded fine. I put it back in but at the bottom and the list loaded fine. So it looks to me like a bug in the software that doesn't like a number as the first line in the list.
hairybiker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairybiker »

I am having the same issue, I backed up the sources list 2 days ago, just installed Mint 9 64bit (was 32 bit) and when I went to load the list it said "an error ..."
I used dpkg --set-selections < list to load the list and dselect to load the files after fine, so def. a bug in the MintBackup area.

Latest version in both cases.
if I run it from a terminal I get:-

Code: Select all

local variable 'pkg' referenced before assignment
after it loads the file and hangs.
eMINT

Post by eMINT »

tha same happend to me!

so i went to synaptic package manager and inside it menu: file > read markings... i select the file that was created by the backup application and then apply.. now all the packets are being downloaed!!

i hope it helps!! :wink:
pedrov

Post by pedrov »

I've the Helena version. I made a backup and now I can't restore it. After some time appear a message (in Portuguese) like the subject of this post:
Ocorreu um erro na abertura do backup tar xvf backup.tar --> 512
I'm not an expert and I do not know very well the Linux.
Thanks for any help you can

Return to “Software & Applications”