add-apt-repository? (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Capt Turk

add-apt-repository? (SOLVED)

Post by Capt Turk »

I've run into this CLI command several times. Everytime I try to run it, it comes back "command not found". What package do I install to get this command?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: add-apt-repository?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Please give us some information on your problem. As a minimum, we need the version of Mint you are using Mint 6, 7, 8, 9 etc. and the exact command you are entering in terminal when you get the "command not found" response.
Capt Turk

Post by Capt Turk »

Running Mint 7. Trying to install xbmc media center.

In the terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
Result:
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found

The complete set of commands given are:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone
sudo apt-get update
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I think your problem is that add-apt-repository is not a valid command in Mint 7. I no longer have an active Mint 7 install to check it on, but I know that on the Ubuntu forums and how-tos, they only use add-apt-repository on Karmic or later. This would correspond to Mint 8 or 9.

I just booted my install CD for Mint 7 Main Edition to the live desktop and tried add-apt-repository - "Command not found"

This function is not available in Mint 7. You'll have to use the instructions here

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HO ... Step_Guide

under "Adding the XMBC Repo" to add the item to your software list. One thing different. Mint 7 does not have the Software Sources utility mentioned for Ubuntu. You will have to open Package Manager, click on "Settings" and choose "Repositories". In repositories, click "NEW" and add the line in the instructions
Close all windows, click "Reload" in Package Manager, then enter xmbc in the search box.

Return to “Software & Applications”