Audacity in Mint 9

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
raywoods

Audacity in Mint 9

Post by raywoods »

I have now been running Audacity for many years, first in Windows and, since openSUSE 10.3 and later from Mint 7, in Linux too. I have found however that in Mint 9 I can't get it to connect to Pulse Audio and thence to my sound card. In the past I have been able to select the input (stream) to record from through a selection box next to the Record Level controller and then adjust the volume level on that Record level slider. With Audacity in Mint 9 the selection box is missing and the record level control is faded out. Playback is okay.

I have, through messing with Pulse Audio (more by luck) managed to get it started but, subsequent recordings fail as the setting is not held. :? I can see the audio streams inside Pulse by looking at the Pulse Volume controls and their level meters so, the audio streams are definitely floating about in there somewhere!!

Because of this I have had to revert to Mint 8 on my desktop (for work to be undertaken) and using my laptop to continue testing with Mint 9. By the way, Mint 8 and Audacity work very well together.

Please, has anyone got any ideas, or is this a bug?

Is Pulse too sophisticated for the job (which I think maybe the case for the majority of desktop users)? Is there a way of getting round it and using something else?

I also note that the old Audio setup, which worked so well in Gnome went with the onset of Mint 8, which is a shame. Oh well. Back to banging my head against that brick wall again!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bob5

Re: Audacity in Mint 9

Post by bob5 »

hi

- it sounds like a BUG .

- you could try http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-for-alsa- ... tions.html

hope it helps !

Return to “Software & Applications”