Installing Java 1.5.0 Update 22 for Firefox 3.5.9...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fingaz

Installing Java 1.5.0 Update 22 for Firefox 3.5.9...

Post by fingaz »

Hi all,
I'll keep this relatively brief :)

Basically, i have a (3rd Party) web-based software application which does not work with Java 1.6+.
Therefore, i need to install Java JRE 1.5, and install the Mozilla plugin.

I have installed the package supplied by Sun/Oracle to "/usr/local/java1.5/" and the plugin is present in "/usr/local/java1.5/jre1.5.0_22/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so" - I have deleted the symbolic link for the Java 1.6 plugin from the Mozilla plugins directory "/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so" and replaced it with a symbolic link to the libjavaplugin_oji.so file for the older 1.5.

However, Mozilla still shows Java 1.6 in the 'Add-Ons' tab, and no mention of the old 1.5...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Darren.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Installing Java 1.5.0 Update 22 for Firefox 3.5.9...

Post by JasonLG »

Java 1.5 is compatible with 1.6, I would question the quality of the 3rd part software.
fingaz

Re: Installing Java 1.5.0 Update 22 for Firefox 3.5.9...

Post by fingaz »

Well, basically i came to the same conclusion. Update to the software has resolved the problem.

I have however learnt not to try and go back in time. Installing an old firefox and old java install over a relatively new system is not big or clever! :)

Thanks anyways!
FingAZ

Return to “Software & Applications”