compiz has had burn for a while and you can change the colour too

no transparent cube though,

but gnome-compiz-preferances is much better than beryl-manager
beryl settings manager is just a mess imo

so all that instablity, just for a transparent cube? :) ill stick with compiz
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:17 pm

hairy_Palms wrote: beryl settings manager is just a mess imo
Not anymore! They re-vamped the menus and stuff is much easier to find now. It's almost perverse how tempting it is now to play around with the settings :lol:

hairy_Palms wrote:so all that instablity
I never had any instabilities or weird behaviour with beryl ... Your mileage may vary. In my case it was compiz that behaved strangely.

And the transparent cube is sooooo infinitely uber-cool :lol: It just blows all the windoze guys out of their socks when they see it. "WOOOOT!? Your Linux GUI can do that .... " 8)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby mikescottcnc on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:09 am

OK, I have tried Beryl for about two weeks and have some serious questions.

I have a ATI X200M Video card. When I am running without Beryl my CPU usage is around 35% while watching a movie and if you add Firefox to the mix it jumps to around 45% and then settles back down (CPU = Pentium 4 Celeron M 1.46). When I load up Beryl my CPU use jumps to over 90% just doing simple 3D effects (spinning cube wobble windows etc.). I thought that Beryl and Compiz were to move the graphical drawing away from the CPU and onto the GPU leaving the CPU more free to perform other operations. In my case this is not so. So the question is why? I have GL enabled and in fact my glxgears jumps from 250fps to over 1000fps when I have Beryl loaded. And yet my cpu takes such a huge hit. Is this because ATI runs on XGL and not the other one (AIGLX?). Anyone have any insight?
mikescottcnc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mfab on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:48 pm

Same experience here with my X300 notebook card. FPS in glxgears around 250 without beryl and jumps up to 4500fps (!?!) with beryl/xgl on. (it even looks like it laggs and I just can't imagine that this number is all that high, might be a bug?!)

I also receive extremely high cpu-loadage, it goes to 99-100% when watching a fullscreen video without doing anything else. (my notebook fan didn't even stop moving ;) )

I also got the info that calculatings should be done from the graphics now instead of the cpu, anyone have any infos on that or if it is different from xgl to aiglx?

btw: right now i run a fresh installed bianca and do not intend to isntall any stuff like beryl untill it is more stable and known to work mithout major glitches... well... at least I will try not to read a nice guide how to install all those nasty effects... :twisted:
mfab
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bigbearomaha on Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:36 pm

I would love to use the effects of Beryl or Compiz, but I think it really still belongs to those in advanced userland.

I tried to follow the how to for compiz, I got errors right off the bat telling me the first command I gave it didn't exist. went downhill from there.

When a nice installer/config app is available,as I'm sure someone will come up with soon enough, I will try it again.

It all sounds very cool and the screenshots are nice. all in due time.

Big Bear
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sanguinemoon on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:24 pm

The instructions on the wiki are pretty easy:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... Linux_Mint

I followed them and got Beryl working fine. I wonder if Cassandra will have Compiz by default, since Feisty does and what the possible (probable) remerger of Compiz and Beryl will mean for future versions.
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Compiz and Linux Mint

Postby 15241353 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:09 pm

When i saw "GL Desktop", i thought "linux", am i right to think that?

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Software & Applications