is there an application to put .img files on usb?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ztuttle5

is there an application to put .img files on usb?

Post by Ztuttle5 »

trying to make a bootable usb but the file is a .img is there a specific application that does that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: is there an application to put .img files on usb?

Post by vincent »

Yes, look for the package "usb-imagewriter" in Synaptic.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install usb-imagewriter
Alternatively, if you're a command-line type of person, you can just use dd to copy and paste the data of the .img file to a USB stick, i.e.

sudo dd if=/path/to/.img of=/dev/sdX
(/dev/sdX is your USB drive)
Ztuttle5

Post by Ztuttle5 »

see i installed the image writer application but every time i open it up it always gives me an error that it can't find any USB even if the connected to my computer
vincent

Post by vincent »

Does Nautilus recognize your USB stick? Have you tried unmounting and re-mounting it? Is your USB stick damaged in any way? Have you tried re-formatting the USB stick (e.g. using GParted)?

Ok, well, to determine if Mint can see your USB stick, type the following command in a terminal:

sudo fdisk -l
And you should see your hard drive (most often /dev/sda; multiple hard drives will have different names), along with (hopefully) your USB stick. You can most likely tell which is which by looking at the size of each drive listed with fdisk.
Ztuttle5

Post by Ztuttle5 »

yea it reads it just fine

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 1018 3944719 7 HPFS/NTFS
vincent

Post by vincent »

Ok then, try reformatting it first. It should then show up in both Nautilus and USB-Imagewriter...
Ztuttle5

Post by Ztuttle5 »

i got it to work i just used the terminal command you posted above thanks for the help :D

Return to “Software & Applications”