Firefox - Private Browsing [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cheemag

Re: Firefox - Private Browsing [SOLVED]

Post by Cheemag »

MALsPa wrote:
Cheemag wrote:What I was advised, in PCLinuxOS at least, was never to install outside Synaptic.
I've been installing Firefox in all of my distros from outside Synaptic for a few years now -- installing it directly from the Mozilla site (there are instructions there). Haven't run into any problems so far by doing this, but I'm sure it isn't "recommended." I'm not recommending it, either, but I know of a few other Linux users who do the exact same thing that I do.

I don't uninstall the distro's Firefox, but I don't use it.

And, by the way, start/stop private browsing works fine here. Currently using Firefox 3.6.6.
Noted. Worth trying, shouldn't hurt ... at least not a lot.

V3.5.9 here.
Last edited by Cheemag on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheemag

Re: Firefox - Private Browsing

Post by Cheemag »

MALsPa wrote:
Cheemag wrote:What I was advised, in PCLinuxOS at least, was never to install outside Synaptic.
I've been installing Firefox in all of my distros from outside Synaptic for a few years now -- installing it directly from the Mozilla site (there are instructions there). Haven't run into any problems so far by doing this, but I'm sure it isn't "recommended." I'm not recommending it, either, but I know of a few other Linux users who do the exact same thing that I do.

I don't uninstall the distro's Firefox, but I don't use it.

And, by the way, start/stop private browsing works fine here. Currently using Firefox 3.6.6.
Ok, I have firefox-3.6.6.tar.bz2 from the Moz site. According to their support page I only need to do this:

Code: Select all

cd home
tar xjf firefox-*.tar.bz2
~/firefox/firefox
As this file is pre-compiled binary, it should work provided the libraries are in place.

Would this work?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Firefox - Private Browsing

Post by MALsPa »

Cheemag wrote:
Ok, I have firefox-3.6.6.tar.bz2 from the Moz site. According to their support page I only need to do this:

cd home
~/firefox/firefox
As this file is pre-compiled binary, it should work provided the libraries are in place.

Would this work?
Yes, that is what I use. Although in some distros I've had to write out the entire path for ~/firefox/firefox to get it to run:

/home/steve/firefox/firefox
And I use the above path to create a new launcher because the old one still points to the distro's Firefox. I usually edit my menus to reflect the two different Firefox apps that I have. I don't know why I keep the distro's Firefox, but I do.

And, a negative about this approach is that the new Firefox is located in your home directory, which might not be what you want if you have other users logging on to your computer. I only have one user account, so it's no problem here.
Cheemag

Post by Cheemag »

MALsPa wrote:
Cheemag wrote:

cd home
~/firefox/firefox

Would this work?
Yes, that is what I use. Although in some distros I've had to write out the entire path for ~/firefox/firefox to get it to run:

/home/steve/firefox/firefox
And I use the above path to create a new launcher because the old one still points to the distro's Firefox. I usually edit my menus to reflect the two different Firefox apps that I have. I don't know why I keep the distro's Firefox, but I do.

And, a negative about this approach is that the new Firefox is located in your home directory, which might not be what you want if you have other users logging on to your computer. I only have one user account, so it's no problem here.
It works! Although at first ~/firefox/firefox brought up the old version, doing it again brought up 3.6.6.

And now, having done all that, it's time to install Mint-9 ... which already has 66 updates pending according to the live CD!
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

-mint 9 comes with firefox v3.6.6 !!

- you do not need to use tar !
Cheemag

Post by Cheemag »

bob5 wrote:hi

-mint 9 comes with firefox v3.6.6 !!

- you do not need to use tar !
Are you sure? I ran the live CD yesterday, and I think it was something like v3.6.5.

I've already installed the .tar on Mint-8 and it works. If Isadora isn't up-to-date, I'll do the same there.
Cheers
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

-it is in updates & PPA i was talking about .

Return to “Software & Applications”