Dropbox error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
_sluimers_

Dropbox error

Post by _sluimers_ »

I use Isadora and after downloading mint-dropbox from the package manager I get this error message on my laptop:

Code: Select all

/home/user/.dropbox-dist/dropbox: 1: Syntax error: ")" unexpected
Reinstalling doesn't help. Not even when purging it.
It works however on my desktop that still uses Helena. They're both 32-bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Dropbox error

Post by JasonLG »

There have been a lot of errors reported when it comes to the Mint Dropbox package. You're better off using the dropbox package and repo from the dropbox site in my experience.
soderstrom

Post by soderstrom »

Having problem as well, tried both alternatives of dropbox but none of them worked for me.

Get this error message with mint-dropbox
soderstrom@linux ~ $ dropbox
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "__main__dropbox__.py", line 35, in <module>
File "arch/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
File "arch/posix_common/util.py", line 14, in <module>
File "common.py", line 17, in <module>
File "client_api/hashing.py", line 2, in <module>
File "ncrypt/digest.py", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: /home/soderstrom/.dropbox-dist/ncrypt-0.6.4-py2.5-linux-x86_64.egg/_ncrypt.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 6, in <module>
File "__main__.py", line 105, in <module>
File "__main__dropbox__.py", line 55, in <module>
File "ui/errorpopup.py", line 18, in boot_error_popup
File "ui/wx_custom.py", line 27, in <module>
File "common.py", line 12, in <module>
File "arch/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
File "arch/posix_common/util.py", line 14, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name executable
The ImportError saying something about 64-bit seems suspicious? I use 32-bit Linux Mint. If I didn't had studies to do I would look more into this, but would appreciate if someone could help out, if not, I will reply here once I find the answer to the problem my self :)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I see what the problem is. I'll try to get an updated version to clem sometime today or tomorrow. Sorry for the hangup.

The reason for this package is that it's desktop independent. The regular Dropbox package depends on Nautilus, which is not a good thing for anyone not running Gnome as their desktop environment. mint-dropbox was written to cleanly integrate with the Fluxbox edition and I later updated it to work with everything. I recently pushed an update, and while it was fine in my testing I can't account for every use case, so having seen this error report I think I can patch it to make it work everywhere once again. Thanks.
soderstrom

Post by soderstrom »

Kendall wrote:I see what the problem is. I'll try to get an updated version to clem sometime today or tomorrow. Sorry for the hangup.

The reason for this package is that it's desktop independent. The regular Dropbox package depends on Nautilus, which is not a good thing for anyone not running Gnome as their desktop environment. mint-dropbox was written to cleanly integrate with the Fluxbox edition and I later updated it to work with everything. I recently pushed an update, and while it was fine in my testing I can't account for every use case, so having seen this error report I think I can patch it to make it work everywhere once again. Thanks.
Hey no problem. We are the ones who should thank you for working on this one. Keep up the good work (seen the comments from people it works for) and look forward to a more stable version.

/ Soderstrom
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

Count me as frustrated by this. I use Dropbox constantly to sync between seven machines. I look forward to a fix. For now I'm going to have to uninstall Mint 9

:( :( :(
vincent

Post by vincent »

You're going to uninstall Mint 9 just because the mint-dropbox package doesn't work properly? Have you at least tried downloading the official dropbox package from their website?
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

vincent wrote:You're going to uninstall Mint 9 just because the mint-dropbox package doesn't work properly? Have you at least tried downloading the official dropbox package from their website?

Yeah it gives me the same exact problem. In fact I tried the official package from the Dropbox site first. In Mint 8 it worked flawlessly.

Dropbox is important to me for both work and play. I really can't do without it.
GroovingClockwork

Post by GroovingClockwork »

I'm in the process of moving to Isadora and having somewhat mixed but overall positive results for Dropbox:
  • On laptop 1 I installed the Main Edition. Both mint-dropbox and the official Nautilus version installed fine but then failed to work, giving the error message that soderstrom mentioned. But check out N.N.'s suggestion from the Dropbox forums -- it involves manually un-tarring a newer Dropbox version in your home folder. This gave me a working Dropbox but no integration with the rest of the system. So I re-installed the nautilus-dropbox .deb on top of it. Result: everything works smoothly.... except for some reason the "Dropbox OK" tray icon is replaced by a Python icon (?)
  • On laptop 2 I'm test-driving live LXDE. Installed mint-dropbox and it works flawlessly.... except "Open Dropbox Folder" from left-clicking the tray icon does not work. It's not really a big deal as you can easily access the folder otherwise.
Wouldn't mind either of these issues cleaned up, but basically the functionality is near-100%.
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

GroovingClockwork wrote:I'm in the process of moving to Isadora and having somewhat mixed but overall positive results for Dropbox:
  • On laptop 1 I installed the Main Edition. Both mint-dropbox and the official Nautilus version installed fine but then failed to work, giving the error message that soderstrom mentioned. But check out N.N.'s suggestion from the Dropbox forums -- it involves manually un-tarring a newer Dropbox version in your home folder. This gave me a working Dropbox but no integration with the rest of the system. So I re-installed the nautilus-dropbox .deb on top of it. Result: everything works smoothly.... except for some reason the "Dropbox OK" tray icon is replaced by a Python icon (?)
  • On laptop 2 I'm test-driving live LXDE. Installed mint-dropbox and it works flawlessly.... except "Open Dropbox Folder" from left-clicking the tray icon does not work. It's not really a big deal as you can easily access the folder otherwise.
Wouldn't mind either of these issues cleaned up, but basically the functionality is near-100%.

Not sure what manually un tarring means :(
vincent

Post by vincent »

To untar something (tar refers to a tarball, often in the form of .tar.gz) is basically the equivalent of unzipping an archive. I suppose that means you could try installing Dropbox from source...
soderstrom

Post by soderstrom »

GroovingClockwork wrote:I'm in the process of moving to Isadora and having somewhat mixed but overall positive results for Dropbox:
Sounds like a great solution for people out there who know what they are doing. I can't explain this to my family that I successfully managed to persuade changing from Windows XP to Linux Mint 9. We share files to each other and dropbox is an easy alternative, if it would work that is.

I will wait for a fix and use google services meanwhile :)

Thanks for sharing the information tho.
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

Anyone know any updates on this? :D
soderstrom

Post by soderstrom »

cebalrai wrote:Anyone know any updates on this? :D
No it's been no changes. I got dropbox from their official site to work instead, but had to run some commands in the terminal to fix errors I got. Followed a "how-to" at another forum so now it works. But thinking of giving this one a try instead http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/wual ... opbox.html
svalbard

Post by svalbard »

For what it's worth, I recall having to manually remove a hidden folder after uninstalling the mint-dropbox package before I could get the nautilus-dropbox package to work. After uninstalling mint-dropbox, either ~/.dropbox or ~/.dropbox-dist still remained (I can't remember which one), and after deleting it myself, I installed the .deb package from the Dropbox website just fine. If you're out of ideas, you could give that a go.
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

I got it to work... By going back to Mint 8.

Dropbox is a very popular and very powerful app. It's really disappointing and somewhat mystifying that it's still incompatible with Mint 9/Ubuntu.
scorchio

Post by scorchio »

Same problem here... quite annoying, now trying to install it from source. Will report the result.
edit: no problems with installing from source, so saying it's entirely incompatible with Mint 9 was a bit off. No offense, though, it's quite far from working out of the box.
Last edited by scorchio on Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewhitetiger

Post by thewhitetiger »

After one hour of mistakes and different approaches I fixed it like that:

sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade nautilus-dropbox

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 5044912E

cd ~ && wget http://dl-web.dropbox.com/u/17/dropbox- ... .75.tar.gz && killall dropbox; rm -rf .dropbox-dist/ && tar xzf dropbox* && rm dropbox*

dropbox start

Now it's working :-) I hope it helps!
Welshtramp

Post by Welshtramp »

Had the same problem, did a google search and found this

http://fosslinuxland.wordpress.com/2010 ... -9-solved/

Tried it and now i have dropbox working fine

hope this helps
tanuki

Post by tanuki »

Sweet jesus, thank you Mr. Tiger!

Does this method of use prohibit any addition of Dropbox into repositories for auto-updating?
Thanks, I looked forever. I don't even care how or why it works, but I'm happy it did!

Return to “Software & Applications”