Problems with "sudo"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robher

Problems with "sudo"

Post by robher »

Hello all,

Running Mint 9 off a LiveUSB. I can't sudo. After some searching, the problem appears to be related to permissions in /etc/sudoers:

mint@mint ~ $ ls -l /etc/sudoers
-r--r----- 0 root root 1307 Jun 12 2010 /etc/sudoers

I'm stuck in a loop. I can't change the permissions on /etc/sudoers because I need to sudo in order to do that. Googling tells me I should start in recovery mode, but I can't find a way to do that (tried "Linux single" at the boot prompt, but that doesn't work).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sample sudo output:

mint@mint ~ $ sudo ls
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 0 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 1 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 2 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 3 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 4 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 5 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 6 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 7 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 8 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 9 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 10 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 11 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 12 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 13 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 14 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 15 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 16 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 17 <<<
sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers near line 0
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bob5

Re: Problems with "sudo"

Post by bob5 »

hi

- what are you doing with sudo ,what are you running as sudo ?

Thanks
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

What are you trying to actually do?

LiveUSB? Did you install to it, or did you copy the iso to it with something like unetbootin?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
robher

Post by robher »

Midnighter wrote:What are you trying to actually do?

LiveUSB? Did you install to it, or did you copy the iso to it with something like unetbootin?
Copied the ISO using http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ and created a 4Gb persistent casper storage.
robher

Post by robher »

bob5 wrote:hi

- what are you doing with sudo ,what are you running as sudo ?

Thanks
This happens with any program I run with sudo. Originally detected it because I couldn't open the Update Manager ("++ Launching mintUpdate in root mode, waiting for it to kill us...") Did some further digging and figured out it was a problem with sudo.
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

-did you check the MD5 when making the stick ?

thanks
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I'm of the mind that your image download (ISO) is flawed. Doesn't take much. But this should not be the case, and the most likely cause is a flaw in your image used to create this.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
robher

Post by robher »

Midnighter wrote:I'm of the mind that your image download (ISO) is flawed. Doesn't take much. But this should not be the case, and the most likely cause is a flaw in your image used to create this.
I created the live USB the day Mint 9 was released. Everything was working fine until a couple of days ago...

Either way, I decided to reinstall the drive (using the same ISO I had used last time) and I can once again sudo. Funny thing is, the file has the same permissions, so that couldn't have been the problem. It was probably just corrupted.

In case it ever happens again, can anyone tell me how to start in recovery mode?

Thanks!
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi
In case it ever happens again, can anyone tell me how to start in recovery mode?
try https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB
vincent

Post by vincent »

Hmmm...well, you could've just booted off of a Live CD/USB, mounted your Mint / partition, and edit the sudoers file by hand in the Live CD/USB session instead of completely re-installing. Keep that in mind next time if this happens again.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

vincent wrote:Hmmm...well, you could've just booted off of a Live CD/USB, mounted your Mint / partition, and edit the sudoers file by hand in the Live CD/USB session instead of completely re-installing. Keep that in mind next time if this happens again.

The USB WAS his install, so a tad more awkward. :/
vincent

Post by vincent »

Oops...didn't read the OP's post carefully enough. That makes things harder, I guess. -_-
bob5

Post by bob5 »

hi

- i've being googling does this help ? http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo
robher

Post by robher »

bob5 wrote:hi

- i've being googling does this help ? http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo
Thanks for the tip. Hope I never have the problem again, but it's good to have this reference just in case.
bob5

Re: Problems with "sudo" SOVLED

Post by bob5 »

hi

-good to know
-please mark as sovled in the subject of the frist post

happy minting !

Return to “Software & Applications”