Gnome-panel crash on login

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chucklebutte

Gnome-panel crash on login

Post by chucklebutte »

My panel and desktop icons do not show up when I log in. I can ctrl+super key to open the menu get a terminal and type in

sudo gconftool --recursive-unset /apps/panel && killall gnome-panel and sudo killall gnome-panel both will bring back my panel.

My .xsessions-error contains some critical errors:
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-Q67zEt
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-Q67zEt/ssh

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2851): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2851): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed

(gnome-power-manager:2856): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: /build/buildd/glib2.0-2.24.1/gobject/gsignal.c:2273: signal `proxy-status' is invalid for instance `0x86bf6e8'
Unable to find a synaptics device.
** (nm-applet:2845): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
ping: unknown host google.com
Starting gtk-window-decorator
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/shelby/.compiz/session/1030059a215e5005bc127637591167964600000027700031"
/usr/bin/compiz (core) - Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32
Send error: Network is unreachable
** (nm-applet:2845): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
** (nm-applet:2845): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 2
** (nm-applet:2845): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb
** (nm-applet:2845): DEBUG: going for offline with icon: notification-network-wireless-disconnected

I have tried reinstalling gnome-panel and still having problems. I am unsure of what I need to do next. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Gnome-panel crash on login

Post by vincent »

Open up your Home folder, press CTRL + H to show all hidden files and directories, and delete the entire .gconf folder. This will delete your backgrounds, themes, icons, panels, etc. and revert them back to default, so it should fix this problem up.

Return to “Software & Applications”