Backup Tool...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Backup Tool...

Post by tenfoot »

I have a separate hard drive which I have formatted to two partitions: one for Backups and one for Pictures. Yesterday, I decided to use the Backup tool provided (thank you Ikey). The backup was successful.

(a) Before Backing up I created a folder in the form "2010-06-12", so that all backups would be sorted in order. However, I found that although the hard drive was presented as an option for the Backup, the folder was not.

What am I doing incorrectly, please?

(b) I decided to do an experiment, so went to the command line and moved all the backup directories to the directory I had created, i.e. "2010-06-12". All went well, although I noticed that although the folder 2010-06-12 had the Lock on, the folders within did not.

Is that the expected behaviour, please?

I then went to Backup and invoked the Restore option. The Source showed (None) - to be expected as I had moved the files. I left the archive option selected but found I could not select ALL the folders but only one at a time.

Am I doing something wrong, please?

So, I then chose the Directory option and found that the Source was then shown correctly as "2010-06-12". Clicking on Forward brought up a dialogue box asking me to review the information. In Description it stated (Not created with Backup Tool).

Is this the expected behaviour, please? And, if I went ahead with the Restore, would it be successful?

Now, the $64,000 question. Is there any way in which I am able to restore to a folder of my choosing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Backup Tool...

Post by Aging Technogeek »

When you open the backup destination, choose "Other". In the "select a File" window, in the left panel, find and click your Backup partition. All folders in Backup will be displayed in the right panel.

If the folder you want is visible, click it and click "Open". This will point the backup tool at that folder.

If the folder you want is not visible but the directory containing it is, click the directory and click "Add". This adds the directory to the list in the left panel. Click it to open and choose your folder as in the above instance.

On restore, the procedure is much the same to select the folder to restore from and the folder to restore to.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Backup Tool...

Post by tenfoot »

Thank you for your very prompt reply Aging Technogeek. My brain must have been disengaged, to miss the Other option. All is now well.

Return to “Software & Applications”