[SOLVED] Impossible to launch win app from wine menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jean-Philippe

[SOLVED] Impossible to launch win app from wine menu

Post by Jean-Philippe »

Hi,

I've just installed wine on my fresh Isadora. Everything was good. In the main menu, I have a new Wine entry and I can navigate on win c:

After the installation of a windows app (Photofiltre) a shortcut was created on the desktop. I can launch Photofiltre directly from this shortcut.
I have equally the shortcut in the Wine submenu. But if I double click on, nothing happens. Impossible to launch the app.

In the same way, when I was under Kubuntu (last week :) ), when I double click on a windows .exe file after downloading, Wine was directly launched. Now I have an error message.

Who can help me to solve this problem ? TIA.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Impissible to launch win app from wine menu

Post by Pierre »

Now I have an error message.
which is ??.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Jean-Philippe

Re: Impissible to launch win app from wine menu

Post by Jean-Philippe »

Pierre wrote:
Now I have an error message.
which is ??.
I'm not at home. Il post it this evening. Thanks.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Impossible to launch win app from wine menu

Post by Midnighter »

Error message would assist. Also, what is this for ( no, I'm too tired to go looking for you)? Nothing native that does what it can? The more detail you provide us, the easier you make it for us to eliminate potential issues and zero in on the actual prob. Will check back when you do with more data.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Jean-Philippe

Post by Jean-Philippe »

Here is the following.

1 - I have a short-cut on the desktop : I double click and the program works fine.
I have verified the short-cut path (in properties) :

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX="/home/srk/.wine" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\PhotoFiltre\ Studio\ X\\pfstudiox.exe 
2 - I go to MintMenu. I see Wine category and if highlighted, I see the icon of the app. I click an I have a dialog box : "erreur - Fichier introuvable" ("file not found" I suppose in the English version).

3 - I go to MintMenu. In Wine category I select "Browse your virtual c: drive". I go to "Program files" - "Photofiltre Studio" - and I click on "pfstudiox.exe". I obtain :

Archive:  /home/srk/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/PhotoFiltre Studio X/pfstudiox.exe
[/home/srk/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/PhotoFiltre Studio X/pfstudiox.exe]
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
note:  /home/srk/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/PhotoFiltre Studio X/pfstudiox.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/srk/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/PhotoFiltre Studio X/pfstudiox.exe or
          /home/srk/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/PhotoFiltre Studio X/pfstudiox.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/srk/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/PhotoFiltre Studio X/pfstudiox.exe.ZIP, period.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Hmm. Seems the archive manager is associating it self with .exe files. Annoying. I seem to recall having to manaually associate .exe's with wine initially, otherwise the archive manager would try just this. Find a .exe, right-click, go to properties, Open With, and make sure wine is set as the default opener. Pretty sure this will fix it for you.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Jean-Philippe

Post by Jean-Philippe »

It seems you're right. When I go to the .exe and right click on "open with wine", the app is launched. It's ok
When I do the right click, choose "open with another application" and choose "wine application", I see the check-box flagged "Mémoriser cette application pour les fichiers <exécutable DOS/WIndows>" (remember this app for files "DOS/Win executables) the app is launched correctly. I suppose that the association is made. But when I try a double click I access again the archive manager with the error. I suppose that the "remember this app.." does'nt function.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Jean-Philippe wrote:It seems you're right. When I go to the .exe and right click on "open with wine", the app is launched. It's ok
When I do the right click, choose "open with another application" and choose "wine application", I see the check-box flagged "Mémoriser cette application pour les fichiers <exécutable DOS/WIndows>" (remember this app for files "DOS/Win executables) the app is launched correctly. I suppose that the association is made. But when I try a double click I access again the archive manager with the error. I suppose that the "remember this app.." does'nt function.

What you described is not what I said to do. Read again, and do EXACTLY as I said, and the association should be set mate. You need to go thru Properties>Open With to set it properly. Don't ask why, it just seems the only way to set it properly. If you have, my apols, but your description does not match what i said.
Jean-Philippe

Post by Jean-Philippe »

Yes, I was wrong. I did not understood what you said. I was trying to launch and choose at the same time the association (an old windows reflex I suppose).
Now I used Properties and it is ok :idea: Thank you. :D

The only one way that don't works now is the launcher directly in the wine submenu.
3 hours ago I have had "file not found" but now I have nothing.

In Properties I have

env WINEPREFIX="/home/srk/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/srk/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/srk/Menu\ Démarrer/Programmes/PhotoFiltre\ Studio\ X/PhotoFiltre\ Studio\ X.lnk
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

The .lnk shows it is just a link file, not an actual launcher. Usually if I install a few win apps, they create their icons/launchers on the desktop, as well as .lnk files, which i just delete. They do nothing. Not sure why, but works fine, but those links don't work. Redundant it would seem.
Jean-Philippe

Post by Jean-Philippe »

I agree. I have deleted it because I have other ways to launch may app.

Thank you for being patient et excuse my poor English.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] Impossible to launch win app from wine menu

Post by Midnighter »

No worries at all mate, we're all here to help each other, that's what community is about. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”