Update Manager Error

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Airlife

Update Manager Error

Post by Airlife »

Hi, recently I've been having a few trouble trying to update my version of Mint 9 Isadora. When using the update managers after clicking "Check", it retrieves and attempts to download the list of updates, before displaying the following error:
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net lucid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 1780999033C3C104
I've googled it before posting here, and it is only mentioned in a few Arabic sites (which when translated, still over no help or solution to the problem).

I'm a fairly new to Linux, I've used Mint 7 and 8 before, but never used them for long as they proved to dislike my wireless card. However 9 loves my wireless card and has given me no hassle, making Mint my preferred OS for browsing online, etc.

Anyway, what could be my problem? If someone could help enlighten me, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Update Manager Error

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Airlife,
The information in this thread may be helpful
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 90#p287290
Airlife

Post by Airlife »

Ah okay thanks, I tried it (changing the error number), but only got the following:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 1780999033C3C104
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 1780999033C3C104
gpg: requesting key 33C3C104 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpgkeys: HTTP fetch error 7: couldn't connect to host
gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
gpg: Total number processed: 0
I'm really lost as what to do now..
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Airlife,
I tried Googling your error message and only got Arabic and Indonesian results which came out very strange when translated with Google translate.
Unfortunately I don't know much about this subject area - I just remembered I'd read a thread about what looked like the exact same problem a few days ago.
Hopefully someone who knows more will see this and jump in with an answer.
Airlife

Post by Airlife »

Yes, I tried Googling it earlier and got the same results. But thanks anyway. I have a sneaky suspicion that it could be my internet. Linux has been funny online since moving back to my parents for the holidays. But never the less, its still a problem.

Thanks anyway, your help was much appreciated.
Airlife

Post by Airlife »

I tried two different approaches, replacing the source.list file using gedit with certain varieties of lists. Unfortunately, both lead me back to my original problem. Still giving me grief with that same error message.
Airlife

Post by Airlife »

Sorry for the triple posting, but just an important update. I've done some more digging, and it turns out many people have the "Missing Keys" problem, though the key in question differs widely. According to this site; http://tinyurl.com/36yjafu, its a common error that should be ignored for now as it doesn't affect performance or vital systems. Its just a mild bug that will be fixed all in good time.

Return to “Software & Applications”