Gnome Panel - On the left side

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Gnome Panel - On the left side

Postby sbeaber4 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:47 am

Hey all,
So I have my panel on the left. What I want to know is it possible to have the window indicator applet to display my open programs so that the text sprawls downward e.g the clock. currently I get a highly informative "..." The menu option works, but The way I want my panels to work is by having two panels one will function as a quasi dock which will have my icons and the other panel will be devoted to open programs. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Steven
sbeaber4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gnome Panel - On the left side

Postby kwevej on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:30 pm

i had the same needs. I've ended up throwing gnome-panel away & installing cairo-dock (glx-dock)
kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Postby sbeaber4 on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:40 am

How do you completely remove gnome panel? Is it safe? I am using cairo dock and love it. I have temporarily hidden gnomepanel by sliding it to left with the "show hide button option. Any thoughts?
sbeaber4
Level 1
Level 1

Postby unexistance on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:19 am

i've experimented with left-side panel, it basically works :D

BUT

window list doesn't 'really' work -> use dockbarx
other applet works :D

as for the deletion, i think you must have at least one panel (which is the left-side one)

TQVM
:: Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved ::
unexistance
Level 5
Level 5

Postby feed3 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:14 am

sbeaber4 wrote:How do you completely remove gnome panel? Is it safe? I am using cairo dock and love it. I have temporarily hidden gnomepanel by sliding it to left with the "show hide button option. Any thoughts?

i dont know about cairo dock but it is possible for awn, am using awn exclusively replacing my gnome panel previously though some forum member reporting that it is also possible for it(cairo dock), search it through forum and you might found it.

what i do;

install awn and customize it to my needs,
install ubuntu tweak,
launch ubuntu tweak, click on the session setting, change gnome-panel to avant-window-navigator,apply,
log out and log in back. no need to "hide" gnome panel anymore. to revert it back, just replace to gnome-panel back.

edit: see here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=49585
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Pythzor on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:37 am

" . . . what i do;

install awn and customize it to my needs,
install ubuntu tweak,
launch ubuntu tweak, click on the session setting, change gnome-panel to avant-window-navigator,apply,
log out and log in back. no need to "hide" gnome panel anymore. to revert it back, just replace to gnome-panel back. '

I tried it and decided I want the gnome panel back; but replacing avant-window-navigator with the former gnome-panel has not restored the gnome panel. What to do [short of reinstalling with my custom (remastersys) dvd]?
AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor × 2 , 2.8 GHz, 6 GB, Nvidia PNY 210, 1 TB hdd: Windows 7; Ubuntu 13.10; Linux Mint 16 Petra. /// Gateway E4000, Intel Pentium 4, 1.8 Ghz; 1.0 GB RAM, Geforce 5500; 32 bit; Windows 7, PCLinuxOS 201404 Mate Desktop.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Pythzor on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:34 am

In a terminal I entered "gnome-panel" and the gnome panel reappeared. Since Ubuntu Tweak kept listing "avant-window-navigator" under "panel" in "sessions," I removed awn with synaptic package manager. Next I removed Ubuntu Tweak. When I reinstalled Ubuntu Tweak, it is still listing "avant-window-navigator" for "panel" in "sessions." But the gnome panel is still back, even when I've restarted. I would like to keep the awn applets on the left panel, but keep the gnome panel as well.

Even though the reinstalled Ubuntu Tweak still lists "avant-window-navigator" for "panel" in "sessions." But the gnome panel is still here. And I do have the awn dock on the left panel. Nevertheless -- not that I'm ungrateful --, I'm curious as to why the Ubuntu Tweak's selection of panel in sessions isn't eliminating the gnome panel?
AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor × 2 , 2.8 GHz, 6 GB, Nvidia PNY 210, 1 TB hdd: Windows 7; Ubuntu 13.10; Linux Mint 16 Petra. /// Gateway E4000, Intel Pentium 4, 1.8 Ghz; 1.0 GB RAM, Geforce 5500; 32 bit; Windows 7, PCLinuxOS 201404 Mate Desktop.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications