Gnome Panel - On the left side

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sbeaber4

Gnome Panel - On the left side

Post by sbeaber4 »

Hey all,
So I have my panel on the left. What I want to know is it possible to have the window indicator applet to display my open programs so that the text sprawls downward e.g the clock. currently I get a highly informative "..." The menu option works, but The way I want my panels to work is by having two panels one will function as a quasi dock which will have my icons and the other panel will be devoted to open programs. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Steven
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwevej

Re: Gnome Panel - On the left side

Post by kwevej »

i had the same needs. I've ended up throwing gnome-panel away & installing cairo-dock (glx-dock)
sbeaber4

Post by sbeaber4 »

How do you completely remove gnome panel? Is it safe? I am using cairo dock and love it. I have temporarily hidden gnomepanel by sliding it to left with the "show hide button option. Any thoughts?
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

i've experimented with left-side panel, it basically works :D

BUT

window list doesn't 'really' work -> use dockbarx
other applet works :D

as for the deletion, i think you must have at least one panel (which is the left-side one)

TQVM
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

sbeaber4 wrote:How do you completely remove gnome panel? Is it safe? I am using cairo dock and love it. I have temporarily hidden gnomepanel by sliding it to left with the "show hide button option. Any thoughts?
i dont know about cairo dock but it is possible for awn, am using awn exclusively replacing my gnome panel previously though some forum member reporting that it is also possible for it(cairo dock), search it through forum and you might found it.

what i do;

install awn and customize it to my needs,
install ubuntu tweak,
launch ubuntu tweak, click on the session setting, change gnome-panel to avant-window-navigator,apply,
log out and log in back. no need to "hide" gnome panel anymore. to revert it back, just replace to gnome-panel back.

edit: see here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=49585
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

" . . . what i do;

install awn and customize it to my needs,
install ubuntu tweak,
launch ubuntu tweak, click on the session setting, change gnome-panel to avant-window-navigator,apply,
log out and log in back. no need to "hide" gnome panel anymore. to revert it back, just replace to gnome-panel back. '

I tried it and decided I want the gnome panel back; but replacing avant-window-navigator with the former gnome-panel has not restored the gnome panel. What to do [short of reinstalling with my custom (remastersys) dvd]?
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pythzor »

In a terminal I entered "gnome-panel" and the gnome panel reappeared. Since Ubuntu Tweak kept listing "avant-window-navigator" under "panel" in "sessions," I removed awn with synaptic package manager. Next I removed Ubuntu Tweak. When I reinstalled Ubuntu Tweak, it is still listing "avant-window-navigator" for "panel" in "sessions." But the gnome panel is still back, even when I've restarted. I would like to keep the awn applets on the left panel, but keep the gnome panel as well.

Even though the reinstalled Ubuntu Tweak still lists "avant-window-navigator" for "panel" in "sessions." But the gnome panel is still here. And I do have the awn dock on the left panel. Nevertheless -- not that I'm ungrateful --, I'm curious as to why the Ubuntu Tweak's selection of panel in sessions isn't eliminating the gnome panel?
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.

Return to “Software & Applications”