Scanner delays - Kernel Problem?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Scanner delays - Kernel Problem?

Postby baba on Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:33 pm

I have a post related to this in the hardware forum, no responses. Now I have done more looking and I think it may be a serious problem in Feisty.

I installed SANE, XSANE, etc for scanner. everything works!
However, when I start up Xsane, I get the initial screen of avaiable devices. I select my scanner, then there is about a one minute delay until Xsane continues.

Then, if I click on SCAN, there is another delay of about one minute before the scan starts.

For fun I went through the same steps with PCLOS which I also have installed and there are no delays.

I have some more info that points to a Feisty Kernel problem.
I ran xscanimage from terminal, get repeated messages "scanner warming up". Eventually after a minute or so, it starts.

I googled "scanner warming up xscanimage" and found several references to a problem in compiling the kernel libusb with USB_SUSPEND.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-414474.html

I don't understand all this, but it sure looks like this is my problem. I am hoping one of the experts here can take a look and comment. If true, I am desperate for a fix so I can use Mint. This is a killer problem for me.
baba
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Scanners seem to be a problem area in Linux....
Anyway I think you could try the solution in the last post in this thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=432130
(install scanbuttond)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby baba on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:59 pm

Thanks Husse.
tried scanbuttond and it works. Causes another problem though, leaves your scanner light on all the time. I wrote a script to kill scanbuttond when you exit xsane, posted it on the ubuntu forum.

I read through that whole thread. Seems scary to me that feisty could be released without discovering this problem and even worse that the Ubuntu creators have not made a quick fix. Apparently Ubuntu broke this with Feisty, worked OK in Edgy. This is not a minor problem.

Now I am chasing a problem with the printer (print quality). I have to use TurboPrint for a driver. Doesn't seem to work quite right. I have already found one thread in a forum that says Feisty broke the installing of third party printer drivers.

I am getting tired trying to make Linux work, I mean really work and trash Windows. Basic hardware support is really bad. The scanner, printer I think, and oh yes my webcam. As I am getting better at Linux I suppose I will eventually find a fix for these.

My concern is that I finally get it going and then some upgrades or a new release comes out and breaks something. So far I have tried two distros in great detail, Mint and PCLOS. Same scenario has already happened to both.
baba
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:18 am

The lack of hardware support is a concern - or maybe rather the lack of willingness by the manufacturers to at least not hinder Linux :(
For printing it's rapidly getting better
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
I can tell you that my scanner is not working (yet) I ran into some problems with USB
I agree that Ubuntu did not do a good job in some respects with the upgrade to Feisty - quite a few things were broken.
However Ubuntu is probably the best base for Mint as has been extensively discussed in the community section of the forum
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications