cd, dvd catalog for all types of files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dolphin

cd, dvd catalog for all types of files

Post by dolphin »

Is there a cd, dvd catalog application for all types of files? I tried gwhere and cdcat. They are ok but not very sophisticated and looks like they are not developed anymore. They lack thumbnail feature. I know about katalog for KDE but it is integrated into konqueror which I don't like.
Is it possible to make a catalog of my cd collection with all types of file like jpeg, txt, pdf, other documents, music formats, archives, etc in Tellico or Gcstar?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: cd, dvd catalog for all types of files

Post by DrHu »

dolphin wrote:Is it possible to make a catalog of my cd collection with all types of file like jpeg, txt, pdf, other documents, music formats, archives, etc in Tellico or Gcstar?
Not quite sure what that means, for example a CD or DVD catlog program usually..
  • Reads the CD/DVD
  • Makes a compressed image
  • Provides a catalog #, index reference
  • Lets you look through the catalog later to see the name, location, disk # etc and the contents of the CD/DVD collection..
For me you would have to say whether you are only wanting to list/collect the file types on your system or list/collect external media such as CD/DVD, since they might have different requirements, or maybe you want an all-in-one program that list/collects everything whether internal (your local machine), external media (CD/DVD) or external sources (Internet)
  • I have a feeling that an all-in-one might not be that available, but the sub-categories (local) or external are covered by available software

--as to not sophisticated enough or no longer being developed, I don't know how much the no longer under development matters, if it can do the job required.

Sure for Gnome type desktops gwhere

Telico will work (as it has a template structure for some types of collections), or simply create your own DB with OpenOffice, sqlite or others
dolphin

Re: cd, dvd catalog for all types of files

Post by dolphin »

I thought it will be clear what I want from the names of programs that I mentioned. I have a collections of DVD that I use as a backup and storage for everything from audio files, documents, photo collections. Nothing unusual, I guess everyone has it. I need a program like cdcat or gwhere but with more features for example like thumbnails, optionally downloading information from internet databases. Tellico has predefined collections templates but I don't now if it can read all content (different files) from DVD's.

Return to “Software & Applications”