installing programs from terminal

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
COKEDUDE

installing programs from terminal

Post by COKEDUDE »

I've had difficulty installing the program I actually want the last few times I've used my terminal. Here are a few examples.

I wanted chromium browser so I used this command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install chromium
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ection=all

I wanted epiphany browser so I used this command

sudo apt-get install epiphany
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite ... s=epiphany

I wanted seamonkey browser so I used this command

sudo apt-get install seamonkey
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite ... =SeaMonkey

With chromium and epiphany I didn't realize there was a game named chromium and epiphany, so my terminal installed the games instead of the browsers. When I first started using the terminal it told me if there were multiple programs with similar names. So my questions is why is my terminal not telling me that anymore and how do I get my terminal to give me a list of programs with similar names?

Next up seamonkey. How do I get my terminal to list version numbers? My terminal installed a old version of seamonkey :( .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: installing programs from terminal

Post by vincent »

I bet you probably already know this by now, but it's "chromium-browser" and "epiphany-browser" you're looking for. ;)

The terminal doesn't give you suggestions if you issue an apt-get install command with a valid package name at the end, it just proceeds to install the package you specified. If you want to search for packages via the terminal, you could just use "apt search package" instead, and replace "package" with the actual name of the package...it'll show you packages containing the word "package" or whatever you typed in there. Also, the version of Seamonkey in the default repos is old. I bet you've already realised that half of the packages in the default repos are just plain ancient. :P If you want a newer version, you're going to have to hunt down for some PPA's. A good place to start is at Launchpad.net ;)
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

vincent wrote:I bet you probably already know this by now, but it's "chromium-browser" and "epiphany-browser" you're looking for. ;)

The terminal doesn't give you suggestions if you issue an apt-get install command with a valid package name at the end, it just proceeds to install the package you specified. If you want to search for packages via the terminal, you could just use "apt search package" instead, and replace "package" with the actual name of the package...it'll show you packages containing the word "package" or whatever you typed in there. Also, the version of Seamonkey in the default repos is old. I bet you've already realised that half of the packages in the default repos are just plain ancient. :P If you want a newer version, you're going to have to hunt down for some PPA's. A good place to start is at Launchpad.net ;)
Yes and Yes. How do PPA's work? I'm not familiar with that :(.
vincent

Post by vincent »

To get the latest Seamonkey 2.0.6, type the following in a terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install seamonkey
Basically, what you have to do is to go to the launchpad.net website, search for a particular package you want, look for a Personal Package Archive that contains the package you want, and add the PPA to your system by running the add-apt-repository command (with the ppa's name at the end, of course...it will be printed in bold on the ppa's page, so you can't miss it). Then you can proceed by updating your repos and installing the package from that PPA.

Return to “Software & Applications”