Bluefish - Why old version in Software Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RockyRX

Bluefish - Why old version in Software Manager

Post by RockyRX »

I'm running Mint 9. Just installed bluefish 1.0.7 through the software manager. 2.0.2 is the latest version. http://bluefish.openoffice.nl

Why so outdated in the software manager?

How do I install the latest version?

Do I need to to uninstall 1.0.7 first?

Thanks RockyRX
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Bluefish - Why old version in Software Manager

Post by remoulder »

Ubuntu software repositories do not attempt to keep up to date with software releases, although there are exceptions, many packages remain on the version available at the time the distro was released. If you want a newer version you normally have to install manually or if available, add a PPA so you get the newer version via Software Manager (PPA is just a repo maintained by someone with an interest in keeping up to date with certain packages). Instructions for installing bluefish manually are on the web page - see the downloads section.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
RockyRX

Post by RockyRX »

Does one need to uninstall the older version before manually installing the latest version?

Thanks RockyRX
vincent

Post by vincent »

Depends on how you're installing it. If you plan to grab a PPA of an updated Bluefish, and thus use APT to download and install it, you don't need to uninstall the older version of Bluefish first since APT will automatically do all the package configuration and replacement for you. If, on the other hand, you plan to manually compile and install, I would recommend uninstalling the old version first and purging its config files.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Why do you think you need the "latest" version?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Software & Applications”