Download the software with all its dependency...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amrish

Download the software with all its dependency...

Post by amrish »

hi,
I have installed linux mint 9 in dell desktop. Is there any way to download a software with all its dependency from mint repositories , and install it later on. You may surprise with this kind of requirement but I have no internet connection at home, but i have in office. If I can do this then I can easily install softwares at my home.
thanks for such a wonderful software.
Amrish
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marcau

Re: Download the software with all its dependency...

Post by marcau »

While I haven't tried it myself, have a look at Synaptic > File > Generate package download script.

I read about this the other day and if I remember correctly, it should be easy to manage on another linux machine. I believe it can be made to work on a windows box.

Somewhere in this forum is mention of another tool that loads on a pen drive. It performs a similar function but is controlled from the program on the drive and supposedly works well on either linux or windows on the download side. Sorry but the name escapes me - starts with "k"?. Hopefully somebody else will help out some more.

[Just found the little fellow - google keryx]

But the short answer is yes.

Let's us know how you go.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

In Synaptic, when you click on Apply to install the selected packages, a confirmation dialogue appears. At the bottom left of that dialogue is a checkbox saying "Download package files only". I have never tried to use that option, but it looks as though it should do what you want.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Take a look at APTonCD. It may be just what you need and is installed in the Main Edition by default.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Brian49 wrote:In Synaptic, when you click on Apply to install the selected packages, a confirmation dialogue appears. At the bottom left of that dialogue is a checkbox saying "Download package files only". I have never tried to use that option, but it looks as though it should do what you want.
Yeah that works.

Or

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -d packagename
Does the same.
amrish

Post by amrish »

I got the solution, thanks all of you.
apt on cd is really cool and is the perfect solution for my need.
linux mint community is really warm and supportive.

Amrish

Return to “Software & Applications”