Removing xulrunner, caveats?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
klabs

Removing xulrunner, caveats?

Post by klabs »

I have replace Firefox with Chromium and removed Thunderbird. I don't use/like/want Gwibber. I would like to remove xulrunner to regain the 130+MB of space for a customized respin that I am working on.

I have already removed xulrunner (and all the packages that autoremove suggested) and I do not notice anything NOT working properly, but I'm sure I am not testing all that I should be. I know all Mozilla apps and Gwibber, but is there anything else dependent on xulrunner (that is standard in Mint)?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Removing xulrunner, caveats?

Post by dawgdoc »

You can check for packages which depend on a given package in Synaptic/Package Manager.

In Synaptic, right click the Xulrunner package, select <Properties>, select the second tab from the left. Change the drop down from dependencies to dependents. This should tell you anything which requires xulrunner to be present. I can not check for you at the moment, I am at work on XP.
klabs

Post by klabs »

dawgdoc wrote:I am at work on XP.
Exactly my situation. Thanks for your reply. I saw everything that was removed when I executed 'apt autoremove xulrunner.....' which should (in theory) have been everything that depends on xulrunner. However I have been reading this morning that the Help functions don't work without xulrunner.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

klabs wrote:However I have been reading this morning that the Help functions don't work without xulrunner.
That does ring a bell. So if you need the GUI help you are stuck. The man pages will still be available without xulrunner.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Just took a look in Synaptic:
xulrunner is 9375 kB, ca. 9.375 MB
but the *-dbg package is 65.8 MB

So, maybe just remove the debug package and still have Help?
Good luck.
klabs

Post by klabs »

RichardH wrote:Just took a look in Synaptic:
xulrunner is 9375 kB, ca. 9.375 MB
but the *-dbg package is 65.8 MB

So, maybe just remove the debug package and still have Help?
Good luck.
That was a huge help, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I can live with ~10MB used by xulrunner itself to avoid any conflict. It was the 130+MB total (with applications) that I was shocked at :shock:

Return to “Software & Applications”