Google video chat crashed my Linux Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
archish85

Google video chat crashed my Linux Mint

Post by archish85 »

Hi all,
I am new to Linux Mint (was a faithfull Opensuse user before converting to mint). I had installed Linux Mint KDE 64 bit on my Fujitsu Lifebook AH550. Except for the occassional problems with Knetworkmanager (I hate Knetworkmanager) and wicd, I had few problems with it.
Yesterday I was amongst the many linux users who were excited to know that google has released a video chat plugin for linux. I had to install and check it on my Linux Mint. Problem is, not only was I unable to install the plugin due to some dependency issue, but my browsers stopped working as well. Google Chrome will display google homepage, but when I clicked the gmail link would just crash. Firefox wouldnt even open and Konqueror would crash too. I was too frustrated and decided to have a fresh install with a Live DVD version of Mint on my USB. After the installation the machine would not boot at all, it didnt even show the GRUB screen. Having given up, I installed 32-bit Opensuse on my laptop.
I would like to install Linux Mint again some time in future. I want to know whether I should go for the same 64-bit or should I get 32-bit version, since the 64-bit may not be ready yet. Also is there anybody else who faced the same problem when trying to install the google plugin?

PS: I am new to Mint forum, please excuse me if this post is in the wrong thread and guide me to the proper section. Thank yo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rekik

Re: Google video chat crashed my Linux Mint

Post by rekik »

I have installed this plugin : it doesn't work at all but did'nt notice any problem.
I use Linux Mint9 Main with Xfce installed on top of Gnome.
archish85

Post by archish85 »

Hi rekik,

Thanks for your reply. So what version of Mint are you using? Was it 64 bit?

And is there anybody who has been able to get the google plugin to work? If yes can they share how to do it for Linux Mint KDE 64 bit?

Thanks
rekik

Post by rekik »

Hi archish85 ,

I'm using the Main (Gnome) 32 bit edition. I have tried the gtalk plugin both in Gnome and Xfce, and it never worked.
Teucca

Post by Teucca »

Hello, it works for us, Isadra 32 (gnome) main edition, and my friend with Ubuntu 10.4
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... kustelu%2F

Return to “Software & Applications”