Issues with Software Manager and Package Manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seannachie

Issues with Software Manager and Package Manager

Post by seannachie »

I downloaded a file through Software Manager, but I can't find it. I found a listing through the Package manager, so I thought it would have to be manually installed. When I marked it for installation, it tried to download the file again. So somehow the system isn't detecting the first file I downloaded.
Also, where do I put files I've downloaded manually so I can install them? I'm tired of these 'can't find package' messages, even though I've opened a terminal inside the folder where the package is located.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Issues with Software Manager and Package Manager

Post by viking777 »

seannachie wrote:I downloaded a file through Software Manager, but I can't find it. I found a listing through the Package manager, so I thought it would have to be manually installed. When I marked it for installation, it tried to download the file again. So somehow the system isn't detecting the first file I downloaded.
Also, where do I put files I've downloaded manually so I can install them? I'm tired of these 'can't find package' messages, even though I've opened a terminal inside the folder where the package is located.
Can't help you with Software Manager, I don't use it. As for packages you download yourself, providing they are .deb packages you can put them any damn place you like!! - the Downloads folder is the most obvious. To install them you just double click them and it all just happens (providing you have gdebi installed, and I am pretty sure it is installed by default, it you haven't got that program for any reason then use the Package Manager to get it). Of course if you are talking about source packages (usually .bz or .gz at the end) then that is different you cant install those with the software manager or package manager and if you are new to Linux then I would steer well clear of those for a while yet, they will cause you endless frustration.

BTW the package manager keeps its packages in /var/cache/apt/archives I would imagine the software manager does the same.
seannachie

Post by seannachie »

Thank you for responding. I had seen a post where there was a terminal syntax for unzipping files, but it doesn't work. The file is *.7z format, so maybe the terminal didn't recognize it. I can't remember where the page is anyway.
Although I hardly regret dropping Windows for Linux, it can be irritating to be expected to have programming experience. Such as when the only 'official' release of a program is in source code.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

seannachie wrote:Thank you for responding. I had seen a post where there was a terminal syntax for unzipping files, but it doesn't work. The file is *.7z format, so maybe the terminal didn't recognize it. I can't remember where the page is anyway.
Although I hardly regret dropping Windows for Linux, it can be irritating to be expected to have programming experience. Such as when the only 'official' release of a program is in source code.
Ah, why didn't you say that before.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install p7zip
Will give you the ability to unzip the file. What happens after that I haven't a clue. Whatever program you are trying to install it is pretty certain to have a Linux equivalent, maybe not what you exactly want but it will do the job.

Just remember you are getting something for nothing here (Linux) including support (even if only from me admittedly not the ideal source :lol: ), but just add up what that would cost you in Windows.

If you stick with .deb packages you will certainly not need any 'programming experience' - read my earlier post again, do you call double clicking a file you have downloaded 'programming experience'?

Very few of us ever get to the Nirvana of having everything we want working in Linux. The way around this is to either dual boot or to use something like Virtualbox to run a virtuallised copy of windows (it is much easier than it sounds). As your experience with Linux grows you will find that the number of times you need to use either of these alternatives will gradually reduce until it becomes insignificant, though I doubt it will ever go away completely - it hasn't for me.
isadora

Post by isadora »

Software Manager, Update Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, little over-managed if you ask me.
Why not centralise everything in one place, make it as simple as possible, i would suggest.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

isadora wrote:Software Manager, Update Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, little over-managed if you ask me.
Why not centralise everything in one place, make it as simple as possible, i would suggest.
Unfortunately I think that is where Mint might be heading. They want to centralise around the inferior 'software manager' at the expense of the superb Synaptic, they have already removed functionality from the latter. The point is that if they do that then people like me that want to control and understand Linux as well as just use it will scream blue murder if Synaptic is ever removed. You are quite right about Update manager though, that is completely superfluous if you have a fully functioning Synaptic installed.

I just know that somebody is going to pipe up and say "If you want to control and understand Linux you should be using the command line". Well I already do use it but Synaptic is better, OK?

The sad thing from my point of view isadora is that you will probably get your wish in the end and I will have to go find another distro which is a shame because I like Mint.
isadora

Post by isadora »

viking777 wrote:
isadora wrote:Software Manager, Update Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, little over-managed if you ask me.
Unfortunately I think that is where Mint might be heading. They want to centralise around the inferior 'software manager' at the expense of the superb Synaptic, they have already removed functionality from the latter. The point is that if they do that then people like me that want to control and understand Linux as well as just use it will scream blue murder if Synaptic is ever removed. You are quite right about Update manager though, that is completely superfluous if you have a fully functioning Synaptic installed.

I just know that somebody is going to pipe up and say "If you want to control and understand Linux you should be using the command line". Well I already do use it but Synaptic is better, OK?

The sad thing from my point of view isadora is that you will probably get your wish in the end and I will have to go find another distro which is a shame because I like Mint.
As you probably know, or maybe not, but i am Mandrake/Mandriva-user ever since 1999.
Very strong point is their Mandriva Control Centre, including a good centralized software-management.
All software-issues can be handled there, and it's set up very simple for everyone to handle.
Can imagine your point of view about the dismantling of Synaptec, a bad choice i think.
Synaptec is a proved tool for the job, one must come with something impressing to defend side-setting Synaptec.

Return to “Software & Applications”