Solved: Can someone pls do a good Backup Tool HowTo!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RevMike

Solved: Can someone pls do a good Backup Tool HowTo!

Post by RevMike »

Can someone pls do a good Backup Tool HowTo!

Quite rightly Mint is proud of having a Backup and Restore tool.
But it is badly let down by not having simple User Instructions allied to it.
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RevMike

Re: Can someone pls do a good Backup Tool HowTo!

Post by RevMike »

Hi Folks - Have I made a rude suggestion?
Or is everyone just sitting back and thinking - this bloke is really dumb!
It's just that there has been no response to my request for a BackUp Tool HowTo.
I just want to make sure that I and other people can use it confidently in the best and most helpful way.

For instance: I now understand how to use removal of Folders and Files I don't want backed up. But:
1. Can someone please explain the meaning and use of the Advanced Options.
2. Backup can take a long time. Can that time be shortened safely?
3. Do existing and unmodified files get skipped?
4. What points need watching when restoring?
5. And other practicalities I may have missed.

Thanks folks - looking forward to some help here!

Mike
RevMike

Re: Can someone pls do a good Backup Tool HowTo!

Post by RevMike »

Thanks Ikey - it goes a long way towards what I was seeking.

However, as it is well buried and not easily found by search, I have added an 'Idea' in the hope it and any other critical Tutorial can be found more easily to support people new to Linux and Mint in particular.

Mike
Elisa

Re: Solved: Can someone pls do a good Backup Tool HowTo!

Post by Elisa »

IMHO the best tool is Remastersys - http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/info.html
Info also:
http://klikit.pbworks.com/Remastersys
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/remastersys.html -> the best know-how, I am sure you'll like it :P
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

remastersys is good if you gonna install from scratch and make an image of it. otherwise if he don't want some installed applications i think aptoncd will do the job?
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

xnostradamusx wrote:remastersys is good if you gonna install from scratch and make an image of it. otherwise if he don't want some installed applications i think aptoncd will do the job?
I do not know 'aptoncd' and due his questions it seems he is really a newbie so I suppose to get know a cool tool like remastersys it's wort of time :idea:
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

aptoncd is already included in the default installation you might want to check that out
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

AFAIK and I always first => RTFM :lol: the info in repo is not too rich I've rather chosen this source => http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

After all I do think the difference between remastersys and aptoncd is:
apton can create more flexible distribution with main point to share the same packages with/for others as she/he likes them and can install them for her/him as well as for her/his friends etc. :wink:

But remastersys is in the first point very personal tool when I have been building my own customized distro for months :lol: everytime when I see it's stable and cool and reliable with no problems on my PC, whenever I create my backup (by remastersys) so the same working good distro is possible to install (in some minutes :D ) on whatever computer with my account, settings etc.

Simply if I don't have laptop but make my distro backup (by remastersys) then I can move my pc everywhere I install my backup.
It's also like a substitution of (my big, 1000 kg heavy :lol: ) home PC or if I don't have a laptop but need "to have my computer" everywhere with all my all, security and other settings etc. etc. - remastersys is - IMHO - the best solution.

AFAIK another remastersys choice of its menu is creating shared distros, similar like described above about aptoncd.
I haven't tried that choice yet.

Another app for total copy / clone of any current pc/distro is ghost4linux which can also clone disk like byte-by-byte, if someone needs :)

Simply, I mostly make my personal backups by remastersys, first after fresh install by downloaded .iso from LinuxMint web then some other backups created when I installed some new apps and have seen distro is stable, good working etc. then at once I do another backup - which is latest ~ current.
This policy is similar like policy in Norton ghost when you can after any crash turn back to your previous status.
! => However except remastersys I do also my /home backups due /home stuff is more frequently changing than the rest/base distro...

So - it really depends on what this post author wanna have, which backup and for what purposes.
Then he can make choice among cool mentioned tools and ways... :wink:
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

wow thats very detailed mate. this info is very useful for everyone
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

ikey wrote:remastersys is all well and good if you want to make a redistributable live ISO
of your current installation.
Nice skilled way how to backup :wink:
Just one note - remastersys is not only for live because you can install your iso backup as a regular (not aka live) distro also (on a new hdd or/and new pc, laptop etc.).
plenthoz

Post by plenthoz »

Can anyone explain to me step by step how to backup Linuxmint (i use Mint Julia)

i've already create backup with remastersys ,but it always fail/broken.... :|
for anyone guide me out there...thanks a lot master!!

Return to “Software & Applications”