USB Ports in VirtualBox for Mint 9

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrbillb

USB Ports in VirtualBox for Mint 9

Post by mrbillb »

I am using VirtualBox with Mint 9, but I cannot access the USB ports. I'm not sure I have the GroupAdditions installed correctly.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I_can_see_the_light

Re: USB Ports in VirtualBox for Mint 9

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

You probably need to download VBox from here in order to get USB support. The version in Software Manager is the Open Source version.
m4daredsun

Post by m4daredsun »

This is what I did to have it working.

1) Install VirtualBox 3.1.6 from repository (not OSE version)

2) added your user to the group 'vboxusers' (Users and groups -> Manage Groups -> vboxusers -> Properties -> select your user)

3) reboot

4) open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo hald --daemon=no
*** Leave it running - do not close the shell ***

5) open your virtualbox and check if you can use your USB devices (you should!!!)

6) if everything works, switch off your vbox, With your text editor, add the following line to your file /etc/rc.local (before the line 'exit 0')

Code: Select all

hald --daemon=yes
7) reboot and enjoy!!!

By doing this, I have also been able to install my Lexmark printer in an XP guest and now I can print!!!!
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

I've done this same routine before and it's not working for me.
Just tried it again ... can configure usb manually thru vb but is asking for vendor name, ID, port, serial number ??? - xp loads up beautifully, but has no door to the outside world - would be great to get usb and printer connected.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Clyde

Post by Clyde »

OK, Installed the guest additions iso - which removed the virtualbox sun version and replaced it with 'ose' version ... went into xp and under devices and installed 'guest addtions' and re-booted. Now I don't see the usb listed as with the sun version (which usb wasn't working anyway) - but now I don't see a way to add anything. In XP it shows a 'floppy' (which i don't have one) and no other entry but the 'guest additions' which leads me to another re-install of 'guest additions' ??
In vb preferences usb option is not there and in XP Devices is showing options to install network adapters, hard disks, floppies, CD/DVD ...all kinds of connections except usb - usb is all i really need- how to add usb ?
Last edited by Clyde on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

You must have used the ose version of Guest Additions . . . ose does NOT have support for usb, . . you need the Sun version of Virtualbox, and the Sun version of the Guest iso. (with matching version numbers)
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

The 'Guest additions' for virtual box in synaptic automatically removes the sun version and installs ose version.
Last edited by Clyde on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
phil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phil »

Very good info.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Don't use Synaptic ! That's the WRONG version . . . I gave you the link earlier, just find and download the proper iso file.

http://blogs.sun.com/joshis/entry/virtu ... o_download
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Oh, i see ... will uninstall all then. I will try to see if i can do it without using synaptic (have only used synaptic to install stuff in the past) Thanks ricyrich
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Virtualbox should be a deb file (Mint 9 = Lucid), with an easy, once downloaded - right-click -> install with gdebi . . the guest additions is an iso file, and when you go to install it in the Guest OS, it asks for the location of an already downloaded guest-additions.iso file . . :)

good luck, richy
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by euthypro »

I downloaded, and installed VirtualBox 3.28 AMD64 twice in the last two weeks from the Oracle website. Guest additions does not need to be downloaded separately. It is in the .deb package. All I had to do was to start XP, select "Install Guest Additions" from the drop-down menu under "Devices," and it was done. No need for Synaptic or for separate downloads, or for finding the ISO.

Just to make sure I am not misremembering, (It happens. :( ) I just checked the files in the .deb package, and yep, Guest Additions is there.

Angel
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

OK, all working now :D - all I will be using it for is an old invoicing program which I really do need. Thanks for all the help guys !!

Return to “Software & Applications”