GLib-WARNING

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
safetycopy

GLib-WARNING

Post by safetycopy »

Hi All :-)

Having recently installed Linux Mint 9 main, I've spent the last day or so messing around with video drivers. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 in my laptop and discovered that this card is no longer supported by the proprietary ATI driver, so searched around for alternatives as the default open source drivers used by Mint don't include full 3D support (I totally understand this is not a Mint issue). I eventually discovered the xorg-edgers ppa and added this to my repo list and did a dist-upgrade (to also upgrade the kernel), which worked fine.

Anyway, a couple of times now my screen has gone black and left with me only the following error message:

Code: Select all

(process:250): GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
The last time this happened, I was reading a PDF in the default PDF-viewer.

Has anyone else experienced this, and, if so, how can I resolve it? Please bear in mind that I'm still pretty new to Linux! :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: GLib-WARNING

Post by DrHu »

Yes, ignore it, it will eventually be fixed in a kernel update, informational message only
--it usually only happens on boot, so there might be something about the graphic driver causing an intermittent problem for your specific system

I doubt it can be easily fixed (so that it never appears again), as I indicated, I also get it on a boot, as well as sometimes getting an lm_sensors message
--again, safe to ignore, since the desktop runs correctly
safetycopy

Post by safetycopy »

OK, thanks for the heads-up :-) It's a bit annoying as it interferes with things sometimes (I have to reboot to get going again), but good to know it's nothing serious!
Errans

Post by Errans »

It tends to happen to me when installing some recent Linux distros on older machines. Specially seems to like Pentium III's and 2.4 Celerons. Sometimes is safe to ignore the message since, as said before, it appears on boot. But sometimes it can be a showstopper and freezes the system not letting it to boot for regular desktop session once the OS is installed. Again, this tend to happen on old machines and apparently it seems to ocurr most frequently on Debian or Ubuntu based distros, but not Debian itself. To be adventurous, I would dare to say it must be graphical related, or maybe is due to some required missing functions on the CPU or something to do with the GDM/KDM entry, but not sure. Curiously it doesn't happen with Slackware based distros. On some machines this doesn't happens at all.
reeboker

Post by reeboker »

Happens to me too, sometimes. I have came around some linux forums (ubuntu) that it has possibly something to do with Intel chipset of some kind, it's really annoying as it locks up my sys and I have to reboot. Wish the fix will come out soon. :?

Return to “Software & Applications”