Tzdata Wrong?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Tzdata Wrong?

Post by viking777 »

This has started to happen to me fairly recently - every time I start up Mint 9 (none of my other 4 distros, only Mint9).

I have the latest version of the tzdata package, but it keeps giving me the wrong time.

I run:

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
and get the following results:

Current default time zone: 'Europe/London'
Correct.

Local time is now:      Sat Sep  4 16:15:08 BST 2010
No it isn't! It is 1715 BST.

Universal Time is now:  Sat Sep  4 15:15:08 UTC 2010
No it isnt! It is 1615 UTC.

My hardware clock reads the correct local time which is 1715.

Why is Mint getting this wrong?

I am getting fed up with resetting the clock every time I boot up/reboot.

I do not wish to use an NTP server. This is not rocket science, it only has to read and display what my hardware clock says. I have looked into the possibility of removing the tzdata package altogether, but it insists it needs to remove about 90% of the other packages on my system at the same time, so I thought it best not to proceed along those lines.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Tzdata Wrong?

Post by richyrich »

It's like you are getting daylight savings year round ??? :?
viking777

Re: Tzdata Wrong?

Post by viking777 »

Well we are on Daylight Saving at the moment anyway so that should be the correct setting.

I have some more information though which I noticed this morning as the boot paused for its regular fsck. The last message on the screen prior to that check (it normally goes past too quick to read!) was something like this:
Superblock write time in the future less than one day. Probably due to hardware clock incorrect (Fixed).
When it rebooted the clock was wrong.

I remember reading somewhere about a command to stop this automatic tinkering with clock settings following this error. All I have to do is remember where I read it and I might be able to correct it.

Return to “Software & Applications”