Firefox backing up book marks

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stewie

Firefox backing up book marks

Post by stewie »

how can i back up firefox book mark so that they can be used if I re-install?

stewie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Firefox backing up book marks

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Instead of just backing up your Firefox bookmarks, back up your entire Firefox configuration file.

Open your /home/username folder (for username, substitute your user name) and click to open the "View"menu. Click on "Show Hidden Files". Find the folder named .mozilla (the "." identifies the folder as hidden so do not omit it) and copy it to where ever you keep your back up files.

Whenever you do a reinstall or require a new Firefox installation for any reason, use the backed up .mozilla folder to replace the folder in /home/username, and you will have a fully configured browser the next time you call Firefox.

The .mozilla folder is created the first time you launch Firefox so if you install the backup before the first Firefox launch, there will not be an existing folder to delete.

If you use Thunderbird for email, the .mozilla folder also contains the Thunderbird config files so Thunderbird will be set up automatically as well.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Follow Aging Technogeek's advice to get the full profile, this is essentially what I did when adding Mint 9 to this laptop. I copied the profile I had in Mint 7.

However, when I decided to sync the bookmarks on a system already configured for extensions and add-ons so that it matched this one I used the Firefox's built in tool.
Firefox > Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup
and then put the .json file it created onto a USB pendrive and on the other system used the Restore feature in <Import and Backup>.

There are also Firefox extensions to sync bookmarks which you may be able to use to back them up. Xmarks comes to mind.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

If you want to back up just the bookmarks, open the Organize Bookmarks dialog (from the Bookmarks menu, or by hitting Ctrl+Shift+O), and then hit the Import and Backup button on the dialog's toolbar. Bookmarks can be saved as a *.json file, or exported as HTML.

Note: dawgdoc's post wasn't there at the moment I wrote this.

Return to “Software & Applications”