SUGGESTION: Please replace Thunderbird with Spicebird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredbird67

SUGGESTION: Please replace Thunderbird with Spicebird

Post by fredbird67 »

I have recently returned to Linux Mint. I left earlier this year when I ran into a problem in the Xfce version (I ditched GNOME earlier this year and ditched KDE when version 4 came out nearly 3 years ago) where I couldn't log back in unless I was using the full 1600 x 900 resolution, but with Mint 9, I'm very happy to see that that problem has been fixed, so I'm back! :-)

However, there's another problem I ran into when setting up Isadora Xfce: I don't know what the Thunderbird developers have done, but the current version of Thunderbird SUCKS! I couldn't get it to forget about IMAP servers -- I needed it to connect to a POP server and it wouldn't do it. Furthermore, I looked high and low for the option to leave mail on the server, but it was nowhere to be found (it's a long story why I need that). I then opened up Synaptic in search of alternatives. I tried Claws, but found that it has contrast/readability issues with some themes. I then tried Sylpheed, which was OK, but it doesn't display HTML E-mail messages. I tried Balsa, but it kept telling me my username and/or password was wrong, which was a bunch of bull. I then looked very carefully at the entire list Synaptic generated when I searched "mail client". I ran across Spicebird, which mentioned being based on Thunderbird, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I went to set it up and lo and behold, it's just like Thunderbird USED to be -- YES!!!!!

Spicebird is currently at version 0.8 beta, but one thing I noticed that really caught my attention on Spicebird's website (http://www.spicebird.com) is that when version 1.0 comes out, it will be able to send and receive E-mails from Microsoft Exchange servers, which is what we have where I work, and that'll be nice to be able to send and receive work E-mails as well as all my personal E-mails in the same program. BTW, this is a feature that I don't think Thunderbird has EVER had, and that'll be a big plus for me when version 1.0 comes out.

Thunderbird has taken off in a direction that absolutely fails to meet my needs anymore, and it was working just fine until they decided they had to "fix" things. Thankfully, Spicebird has preserved the setup of the old Thunderbird. I've only had it on here for about an hour or so, but it's already my official E-mail client of choice. Therefore, I'd like to suggest, in future versions of Linux Mint, that Thunderbird be replaced with Spicebird. What does everyone think about this? Also, has anyone else on here ever tried Spicebird? If so, what did you think?

Fred in St. Louis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mozenrath

Re: SUGGESTION: Please replace Thunderbird with Spicebird

Post by Mozenrath »

I understand your problem, but I still like to use Thunderbird. I agree that the IMAP thing is a pain, although all I had to do was copy my Thunderbird profile from Windows and that bypassed that whole issue. I'm sure there must be a way to configure it with POP rather than IMAP? I don't know.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Why do users think that everyone has the same uses they have :?:
An OS is made for the many-Not one user, What works for one might not work for ten more.
As the OP noted he has installed Spicebird and like it, So he should just use it.
I'm sure Clem,Ikey and the rest of the Devs will use what's best for the long term of Mint.
That said some of us do use Thunderbird--Many use Firefox on Windows but don't ask MS to replace IE (not the same But) :)
One of the reasons to use Linux is Freedom--Use what works for You :!:
Robin

Post by Robin »

I have always chosen Thunderbird because it did the POP3 thing perfectly; because of the Lightning extension which is wicked cool, but mostly because of the composer which lets me use all the fancy formatting and embedded images in the messages I write. I have several penpals I write long, thoughtful e-mails to and love the super easy formatting. Most of the other e-mail clients insist that I use an external editor for that - but since I don't know what that means (other than maybe creating a pdf and attaching it?) I always just stuck with T-Bird.

One way to "trick" T-Bird 3 into letting you manually input the POP3 settings is to simply unplug the cable or disable wireless to disconnect your 'puter from the 'net. That prevents T-Bird from automatically "detecting" your account and choosing IMAP even if you want POP3 (I'm told you can also "interrupt" that automatic thing somehow, but unplugging was simple enough for me). When you've got all your settings the way you want them, reconnect and it does POP3.

It's a shame that Lightning won't work on the new version though.

Does Spicebird support the Lightning extension?
Does Spicebird have a composer that allows HTML and embedded images (including animated gifs) like Thunderbird does? I would simply install and try it myself to answer my own question, but I'm being "punished" with incredibly slow connection speed (worse than dialup) because I've already exceeded my bandwidth allowance...

Thanks,
Robin
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 »

Robin wrote:It's a shame that Lightning won't work on the new version though.
:?: Lightning for Thunderbird 3.1.x
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
deleted

Post by deleted »

I haven't found a Linux email client that integrates directly with my company's exchange server, (Let me know if there is one), without using POP or IMAP or the Outlook Web client (which is quite good). Since that's the case, I still have to periodically clean out my exchange inbox. That means that what I use on Linux is just personal preference. At one time Kmail duplicated every message in my Inbox. So after I cleaned up that fiasco, I switched to Thunderbird.
-Hinto
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

hinto wrote:I haven't found a Linux email client that integrates directly with my company's exchange server, (Let me know if there is one), without using POP or IMAP or the Outlook Web client (which is quite good).
..using POP or IMAP or the Outlook Web client
It's hopeless man, hopeless I say..

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/VALinux-kb/ms ... ments.html
  • Constructing a Linux groupware client with functionality fully comparable to that of MS-Outlook does not, contrary to many people's impressions, merely require supporting Microsoft's well-documented MAPI (Mail Application Programming Interface) protocol, but also either the MS-Exchange Server RPC-based communications protocol or the earlier and less full-featured Microsoft Mail (file-based) communications protocol. Neither is documented outside Microsoft Corporation (except that Bynari Corporation appears to have reverse-engineered them for its Insight client software).
Exchange if you must, but not necessary Exchange

This is the normal, I need to use some windows emulation to trick the windows OS server service and allow my Linux clients to operate
deleted

Post by deleted »

For me, I run Win7 in a VMware VM and use Unity Mode. You ought to see eyes pop when MS apps have wobbly windows ;)
-H
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Reljoy »

In Thunderbird version 3.1.7 when you go to set up an account for the first time, you need to make sure that it chooses POP (if that is what you want). I need POP because I want to use "Leave messages on server". I had this problem until I read what Robin wrote. When I knew that I could do what I wanted on Thunderbird, I looked to see how it could be done easily.
1. Edit - Account Settings
2. Account Actions - Add Mail Account
3. Enter your name and email address and password (leave your password out if you want to - then if you make a mistake TB wont get your mail until you give it the password)
4. The next screen is called "Mail Account Setup". This is where you need to watch what is happening and make the change to POP if that is what you want.
There is a heading "the following settings were found by trying common server names". Under this heading you will possibly find (like I did) that it chose IMAP instead of POP.
On the right hand side there is a button called "Stop" which after a few seconds turns into "Edit". Click on "Edit" and you can easily change IMAP to POP.
Then you can click on "Re-test Configuration" and it will place the correct port next to POP for you.
While you are at it, check the settings for outgoing mail.
5. The button "Create Account" will be greyed out. Ignore it and click on the "Manual Setup" button.
6. Go to "Server Settings" and make your choices regarding "Leave messages on server"
7. Make any other changes you want and click on "OK"

Return to “Software & Applications”