File Saving

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ers1121

File Saving

Post by ers1121 »

Good morning,
Is there a way to save a file to more than one location? Currently all documents (Open Office) are saved in the Documents folder in Home folder. Is there a way to simultaneously save it to the Dropbox or Ubuntu One folder also? If not is there a way to change the directory to which the files are saved? I work on files at work (Windows, MS Office) and home (Mint 9, Open Office), having them sync between the two is great, plus I don't have to worry about losing them in the event of a crash.
Thanks in advance,
Ed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: File Saving

Post by DataMan »

Is there a way to save a file to more than one location? Currently all documents (Open Office) are saved in the Documents folder in Home folder. Is there a way to simultaneously save it to the Dropbox or Ubuntu One folder also? If not is there a way to change the directory to which the files are saved? I work on files at work (Windows, MS Office) and home (Mint 9, Open Office), having them sync between the two is great, plus I don't have to worry about losing them in the event of a crash.
1. While in OO, if you select the "Save As" option, you should get the full file browser for the destination (and name). If you have say, an ntfs mounted partition, then you can plunk the file there. Remember also, that a number of the core directories are reserved for system files and you may not be able to write content to these directories.

2. I don't know of any way to simultaneously save the same file to 2 separate locations. I suppose you could do a cron job to copy the contents of one folder to another folder (could be complicated).

-DataMan
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Hi,
If not is there a way to change the directory to which the files are saved?
Open OpenOffice, select Tools -> Options... -> OpenOffice -> Paths
select My Documents -> click edit -> select your directory

Anyway, I think you might want to look at nautilus-dropbox (in you are using Main Edition)

Regards,
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

In OpenOffice Writer (or any of the other OOo apps), go to Tools -> Options . . and take note of, or edit/change if you prefer, the OpenOffice.org -> Paths -> Backups directory.
Next, in the same window, navigate from the left, and go to the Load/Save -> General settings, and check the box for "Always create backup copy"

No matter where you save it, you will have an additional backup copy in the folder of your choice. :)

Hope this will work for you, regards, richy
ers1121

Post by ers1121 »

Thanks guys, I'll check it out tonight. I knew there had to be a way to change where the documents were stored.
Ed

Return to “Software & Applications”