Chrome is better than Firefox???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vincent

Re: Chrome is better than Firefox???

Post by vincent »

The speed that Swiftfox provides can be achieved by a small list of about:config tweaks. There's nothing special about it. Also, unlike the Firefox from the repos, it does not offer native 64-bit builds (Swiftfox's 64-bit builds are just 32-bit + compatibility libs), so 64-bit users will need to keep that in mind.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

I prefer Chromium/Chrome. Why?

1. The Sync Feature - Wrench>Options>Personal Stuff>Sync. Enter your Google account and it will preserve everyting including Tabs, so if you use another PC.. go to the Sync option and it will retain all your tabs.
2. it is indeed faster.
3. The download will resume, no need for an extension to resume near completed downloads.
inktitan

Post by inktitan »

aljoriz wrote:I prefer Chromium/Chrome. Why?

1. The Sync Feature - Wrench>Options>Personal Stuff>Sync. Enter your Google account and it will preserve everyting including Tabs, so if you use another PC.. go to the Sync option and it will retain all your tabs.
2. it is indeed faster.
3. The download will resume, no need for an extension to resume near completed downloads.
That is pretty neat. But will the download then be a partial download on the second pc?
vincent

Post by vincent »

In response to point #1, Firefox 4 will come with sync built-in just like Chrome(-ium) with Firefox Sync (formally known as the Weave add-on). For me though, due to the fact that I use multiple browsers (both Firefox + Chromium), I prefer Xmarks over both of Firefox and Chrome's built-in sync features, as Xmarks is the only addon that lets me sync across multiple browsers - to me, that's the selling point.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

yeah but isn't xmarks closing down?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

gotjazz wrote:yeah but isn't xmarks closing down?
Looks like Xmarks might have found new life:

http://blog.xmarks.com/
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Don't replace Firefox! Besides, Firefox 4 is going to be pretty good.
vincent

Post by vincent »

I certainly hope so. Mozilla has been lagging further and further behind their schedule with the recent beta releases, so given the time they've had to iron out the bugs in FF4, it'd better be good. :P

They've still got a fair amount of release-critical bugs though. In fact, I can make my copy of Firefox 4.0 beta 6 crash whenever I feel like it. However, I'm also running the latest Chromium beta, and overall, I feel Chromium is more stable than Firefox is at the moment.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

vincent wrote:...I feel Chromium is more stable than Firefox is at the moment.
What do u mean? Is FF in your PC falling down? :) I just think FF is more flexible and handy to set almost whatever u want, as for Chromium 'some config stuff' is too hidden for average/not skilled user :?

P.S. Yep, I forgot to say that only thing on FF which sux my blood that sometimes it sucks much memory :?
On the other hand I have sometimes open from 40-60 tabs (but only some of them are active in the same moment) so if for this it might sux so much RAM ? :evil: I'm not sure :)
Last edited by Elisa on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Firefox has never crashed once for me. Well, years ago it did. But it hasn't crashed once with my current Linux installation.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Elisa wrote:
vincent wrote:...I feel Chromium is more stable than Firefox is at the moment.
What do u mean? Is FF in your PC falling down? :) I just think FF is more flexible and handy to set almost whatever u want, as for Chromium 'some config stuff' is too hidden for average/not skilled user :?
I meant what I said; Chromium has simply been a more stable browser in my experience, as it is much less prone to crashing than Firefox is. Keep in mind that I am comparing beta versions of both Firefox and Chromium. The latest Chromium beta has, in my experience, been more stable and reliable than the latest Firefox beta.

If you think Chromium's 'config stuff' (or lack thereof, at the moment) is too hidden. then how hidden would you define Firefox's config stuff? The average non-skilled user is as unlikely to mess around with about:config, just as they wouldn't be inclined to mess around with the hundreds of command-line switches you can pass to Chromium. To the average user, both browsers' config settings are equally inaccessible (besides simple things like bookmarks, or history settings and the like).

Return to “Software & Applications”