Mint-Sunbird? Did I make a boo-boo?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint-Sunbird? Did I make a boo-boo?

Postby porcorosso on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:21 pm

Okay. I was fiddling around trying to synchronize Sunbird between a Vista system and a Linux Mint system using openssh-server on the Linux box and WinSCP on the Vista box. I should have just used an .ics file, but I got greedy because that doesn't get the configuration across, just the data.

Well, Sunbird wouldn't launch on the Linux system after that. I went into Synaptic and looked up Sunbird. What I got was a listing for Mint-Sunbird. I wanted to do a repair install, but that wasn't offered. What was offered was Remove or Completely Remove.

I chose Completely Remove, since that removes the configuration files, which is what I probably screwed up when I used WinSCP to "update" my Sunbird on the Linux box. Uh, but now Synaptic won't show me the application so that I can re-install it. I don't remember Synaptic doing things like that to me before.

Can anyone give me a hand here? I'd like to get Sunbird installed again.
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:56 pm

You can redowload it from here and double click to install.
http://linuxmint.com/repository/cassand ... 1_i386.deb
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby porcorosso on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:35 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:You can redowload it from here and double click to install.
http://linuxmint.com/repository/cassand ... 1_i386.deb

I'm downloading it now. Thank you.

I wonder why synaptic didn't offer it from the repository? I'll check the settings, but it should offer it, right? I'm running Celena.
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby porcorosso on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Yeah, that's really odd. That download comes from the linuxmint repository, cassandra distribution. I'm running a clean Celena installation, and it lists http://www.linuxmint.com/repository/celena/, among others.

I'm confused. Shouldn't the Sunbird package be included in the Celena repository?
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby porcorosso on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:46 pm

More weirdness. I just ran the installer. I got the message that the package was already installed. I reinstalled it anyway. But the application still won't start.

This is odd. Am I going to have to reinstall the OS?
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alexander on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:07 pm

mint-sunbird?
whats the differance between that and whats in the ubuntu repository?
alexander
Level 2
Level 2

Postby porcorosso on Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:00 am

alexander wrote:mint-sunbird?
whats the differance between that and whats in the ubuntu repository?

After I borked it (Sunbird wouldn't start any more.) by trying to equilibrate the data files on Linux Mint with those on Vista, I went to Synaptic to remove Sunbird. When I searched for "sunbird" I got "mint-sunbird". So, I set Synaptic to remove it completely. But once that was done, a further search with Synaptic for "sunbird" got me nothing except, ironically, a set of scripts for synchronizing multiple instances of sunbird.

:lol:

Hence I came here. merlwiz79's link got me a download, but the installer complained that the package was already installed! I told it to install anyway. And, once I got sunbird back on the system -- it still wouldn't run.

As far as I can tell, there's no difference between just plain old sunbird and mint-sunbird -- unless the particular version that came with the system image (and which, I presume, resides in the .deb) has been vetted to work with Cassandra / Celena.

Anyway, I'm confusled. I don't know why it's apparently in the Cassandra repository and NOT in the Celena repository, when it seems to have been included in the Celena image.
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alexander on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:12 am

porcorosso wrote:Anyway, I'm confusled. I don't know why it's apparently in the Cassandra repository and NOT in the Celena repository, when it seems to have been included in the Celena image.

From what I can gather the celena repository doesn't mirror the cassandra repository and only contains files that are unique to celena. This makes sense as celena comes with both cassandra and celena repositories enabled anyway.

I would say the version of mint-sunbird in cassandra is the same as the one in celena and thus isn't in the celena repository.
alexander
Level 2
Level 2

Postby porcorosso on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:20 am

alexander wrote:
porcorosso wrote:Anyway, I'm confusled. I don't know why it's apparently in the Cassandra repository and NOT in the Celena repository, when it seems to have been included in the Celena image.

From what I can gather the celena repository doesn't mirror the cassandra repository and only contains files that are unique to celena. This makes sense as celena comes with both cassandra and celena repositories enabled anyway.

I would say the version of mint-sunbird in cassandra is the same as the one in celena and thus isn't in the celena repository.

Okay, I understand that from one perspective. But the cassandra repository isn't enabled in my installation, and I didn't remove it. I guess that's the first order of business, then -- putting that repository back in my sources.list file. I wonder how that happened.

I doubt that adding the repository will fix my problem with Sunbird, though.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I really need Sunbird. If there's no other way to get it back, I guess I'll have to reinstall the OS. I won't cry about it. I haven't been careless with this installation to the extent that, I expect, some people have been. But I did do full updates through Synaptic. If I reinstall I'll just do without the updates. But I have to have my applications. All of the apps I added to this install came from the Mint software location.
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

End of Rope?

Postby porcorosso on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:14 am

I have to say this is surprising. I hope that one of the developers / maintainers will comment -- just for my edification. I would not have expected a simple bungled application to mess itself up so permanently that it's impossible to get it to run again! That's the sort of thing I'd be less surprised to see in Windows. It happens on that system because some installation processes and applications write cryptic stuff to locations in the registry, and no amount of spelunking will ferret it out. Over the years I've learned what to avoid.

But in Linux it has always been about dependencies and repositories, if I understand correctly. Complete removal of an application should get rid of any hangovers in its settings that might prevent a future installation of said application from running.

After adding the cassandra distribution to my repository list I was able to completely remove and then re-install sunbird. I even did it old-Windows-style -- rebooting after the removal, and then again after the installation. When I click on the sunbird application launcher I get the "busy" cursor for a while and then nothing.

With the exception of the busy cursor, the same thing happens if I try to launch the application from Alt+F2 dialog or from gnome-terminal. Nothing.

Synaptic reports no broken packages. Can't find anything that seems to apply in any of the logs. Launching with admin privs does nothing. It's almost as though the OS and this application are deliberately shining me on!

:lol:

Absent some pretty quick response from someone I guess I'll go to bare metal and start over again. I won't give up on Linux Mint that easily, and it isn't that hard to reinstall in any case. This time I'll be a good boy and not do the updates, regardless what conventional wisdom outside this forum seems to indicate.

But I have to admit that this has me concerned. Nothing outside my user profile was touched. If I log on to another user account, I am able to run Sunbird. But that really isn't the way things should work, is it?

One more request for suggestions. Many thanks for attempts at aid so far.

-----

I'll leave all of my musings above for anyone who is wondering if I'm an idiot so that there will be no doubt.

Since Sunbird could be launched under another user account I looked at the data locations of both accounts to see if I could see differences. The screwed-up account's default data location for Sunbird had a file called blocklist.xml in it, and that file was not present in the working account's default data location. The non-working data location also did NOT contain a .parentlock file, which the working location did.

Not being married to anything in the non-working data location anyway, I just deleted it. Then Sunbird started right up.

This perplexes me. If someone can propose an explanation I'd appreciate it. A borked data location doesn't seem a good enough reason for an application to outright refuse to start -- at least not to me. I would think the best mode of failure would be for it to come up to a start screen and say, "Hey, dummy, your data is borked!"

Or something along those lines.

Thanks for "listening." And I really would appreciate it if someone can help me understand what happened. I'm new to Linux and am trying to learn.
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications