Audacity Issue record what u hear [Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Clyde

Audacity Issue record what u hear [Solved]

Post by Clyde »

I had been using audacity to 'record what I hear' for a long time with anaother distro. By clicking on the record button it would automatically record any sound being played on the system. However, with Mint I have not been able to get this same feature to work at all. Audacity is still functioning fine for other tasks like playing and editing of existing audio tracks.

I have tried every conceiveable combination at the preferences window and am at a loss for a solution :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Audacity Issue

Post by newyorkpaulie »

I had some trouble getting Audacity to work for me too, but here are the settings I use that do it:

Input choice: Mix:0
Devices: Host ALSA
Playback: pulse
Recording: Intel 82801CA-ICH3: Intel 82801CA-ICH3 (hw:0,0)
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Those are basically the same settings I am using - are you able to record 'what you hear' on your system ?
hoe

Post by hoe »

I used to use Audacity to record LPs without issue on Mepis but never had any luck with Linuxmint so I use Polderbits on an XP partition and it works well. I guess I could have installed Mepis on another partition and try it but not a big fan of KDE 4. I don't hop around much anymore, I just stick to Mint and where it falls short I sneak over to XP once in a while.

Wayne
Clyde

Re: Audacity Issue [record what u hear]

Post by Clyde »

yes, mepis is what i was using audacity with and all was working. I'm sure there is a way to configure it to do the same with mint - but unfortunately i haven't found a way to do it.
Clyde

Re: Audacity Issue [record what u hear]

Post by Clyde »

OK - I was able to get it to work now:

Audacity Preferences:
Devices/Host: ALSA
Devices/Playback: Pulse
Devices/Recording: Pulse
Recording/Uncheck the box 'Software Playthrough'

You also might want to check in Pulse Volume 'all input devices' (don't know if it's needed but a good way to visually check input)

Now I can record from Audacity any sound source I can hear thru the card :D

Return to “Software & Applications”