Any problems with removing FireFox?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bullitt

Any problems with removing FireFox?

Post by bullitt »

I would like to remove FireFox and Kmail. I plan to use Synaptic with complete removal, is this going to cause any issues with the system or other programs?

Thanks, Bullitt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Any problems with removing FireFox?

Post by dawgdoc »

In the past I removed Firefox using Synaptic's complete removal option in LM7 Gnome without any problems. I was installing a version newer than what is in the repositories. I have never used KDE, so I can not attest to Kmail.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

For Firefox take a look at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... it=Firefox

Kmail shouldn't cause any issues.

Unless you are out of disk space why even bother? if you want to make a different browser or email client the default, just change it.

You can also use sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser to set the default browser.
bullitt

Post by bullitt »

Thanks for the feedback, I will check out the link. I guess if my thinking is if I'm not using a program why keep it installed.

Bullitt
bullitt

Post by bullitt »

craigevil wrote:For Firefox take a look at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... it=Firefox

Kmail shouldn't cause any issues.

Unless you are out of disk space why even bother? if you want to make a different browser or email client the default, just change it.

You can also use sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser to set the default browser.

That link refers to Mint 10, I'm using ML9 KDE. Also, I removed both FF and kmail and all is still working fine that includes flash in Chromium. If I find something missing I will just reinstall FF. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Bullitt
jesica

Post by jesica »

I did run Opera for more than a year know withou firefox and had no problems yet
bullitt

Post by bullitt »

jesica wrote:I did run Opera for more than a year know withou firefox and had no problems yet
Thanks for the info, I hoping to have the same results with the removal of Firefox.

Bullitt

Return to “Software & Applications”