SOLVED: File association in Mint : How can I associate...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
.William.

SOLVED: File association in Mint : How can I associate...

Post by .William. »

Hi, my question is :
When I want to download from Usenet, my Usenet download starts with a NZB file, that needs to be opened by the program that downloads the actual file.
The problem is that in Firefox, although I check the box "always do this with this kind of file" it doesn't actually remember what program I want it to open the NZB. Because of that I need to dig deep into my programs every time to find the right one.
In Windows I have a program that lets me choose for all extensions what I want to associate it with, but in Mint I can only choose for "Internet", "Multimedia", "System" and "Accessibility". (standard applications)
I want to be able to decide how I open any different file and have Mint remember it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Daveleh
Level 3
Level 3

Re: File association in Mint : How can I associate extension

Post by Daveleh »

.William. wrote:Hi, my question is :
When I want to download from Usenet, my Usenet download starts with a NZB file, that needs to be opened by the program that downloads the actual file.
The problem is that in Firefox, although I check the box "always do this with this kind of file" it doesn't actually remember what program I want it to open the NZB. Because of that I need to dig deep into my programs every time to find the right one.
In Windows I have a program that lets me choose for all extensions what I want to associate it with, but in Mint I can only choose for "Internet", "Multimedia", "System" and "Accessibility". (standard applications)
I want to be able to decide how I open any different file and have Mint remember it.
Using Nautilus - the file browser/manager - locate the file that you downloaded. It should be in you home folder somewhere.

When you have located it, right-click with the mouse over the icon, or file name if in list view.

In the pop up menu that appears select Properties, at the bottom.

Click on the Open With tab and then select the button for the appropriate application.

If the desired application isnt shown then click on Add and select the correct one from the scrollable list.

If it still isnt shown then click on Use A Custom Command at the bottom and enter the name of the application, including its path or click on Browse. This will take you to /usr/bin where most of the applications are located.

Click Add and the new application will appear in the list. Select it and then click Close

Hope that helps

Regards
Daveleh
Cornwall, UK

Go on - walk1000miles.co.uk

Mint 19.3 xfce fully updated on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop with 4Gb memory and 750Gb HDD
.William.

Post by .William. »

Thank you very much for your help, it worked.
I tried it and next time I was able to have it opened automatically with the pre-selected application.
Making the switch from Windows to Linux takes a bit of figuring things out but I'll get there.
I'll remember this one.

Sincerely,

William
Daveleh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Daveleh »

Glad to assist

Regards
Daveleh
Cornwall, UK

Go on - walk1000miles.co.uk

Mint 19.3 xfce fully updated on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop with 4Gb memory and 750Gb HDD

Return to “Software & Applications”