How to replace Iceweasel with Swiftweasel?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

How to replace Iceweasel with Swiftweasel?

Post by Imagus »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there's an easy (as in "newbie") way to replace my Iceweasel with Swiftweasel and Icedove with Swiftdove? I couldn't find these packages in Synaptic Package Manager, so I tried downloading them, but all I got was a tar.gz file. I can open this, but I have no idea how to install the program. Also I couldn't find a download location for Swiftdove anywhere.
Is it possible to get these programs from the repositories somehow so that they install automatically or do I have to figure out how to use the tar.gz? I am using LMDE.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: How to replace Iceweasel with Swiftweasel?

Post by vincent »

Follow the instructions here: http://getswiftfox.com/deb.htm
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

vincent wrote:Follow the instructions here: http://getswiftfox.com/deb.htm
That installs only SwiftFOX, not Swiftweasel. Also Swiftdove is nowhere to be found. But it's not very important, Iceweasel and Icedove will do just fine for now. Thank you anyway. I'll keep an eye out for future .deb packages of these programs.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Swiftweasel is more or less an abandonned project; the latest update on its site is almost a year old. Is there any reason you'd like to use Swiftweasel in particular instead of Swiftfox or just plain old Firefox? Because Swiftfox is nothing but Firefox with several about:config tweaks, same with Swiftweasel and Iceweasel.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

vincent wrote:Swiftweasel is more or less an abandonned project; the latest update on its site is almost a year old. Is there any reason you'd like to use Swiftweasel in particular instead of Swiftfox or just plain old Firefox? Because Swiftfox is nothing but Firefox with several about:config tweaks, same with Swiftweasel and Iceweasel.
Well, I thought that Swiftweasel would be a bit like Palemoon for Windows: an enhanced version of Firefox that runs a bit faster. I just wanted to experiment a bit, that's all. But thanks for pointing out that it's an abandoned project, I will just continue to use Iceweasel and Icedove then (both of which run perfectly on my machine btw).

(As for "plain old Firefox", I don't want to use that anymore simply because I'm tired of that orange icon. I like the blue Iceweasel icon a lot more. :) )

Return to “Software & Applications”