cannot upload photos to Facebook

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gnopak

cannot upload photos to Facebook

Post by gnopak »

I am not a Facebook fan but it is an important client communication tool for my gf pro photographer.

Uploading photos does not work: Facebook - Photos - Upload photos - shows two button: "Select Photos" and "Cancel". When "Select Photos" is clicked, the file selection dialog lets me select a photo. After clicking "OK", the previous window appears, i.e. "Select Photos" and "Cancel", and nothing else happens. Firefox status bar shows "Transferring data from pixel.facebook.com" indefinitely.

Switching to Simple Uploader does not help. Facebook enters a neverending loop after choosing a file.

I tried using digiKam's Export feature. It correctly requested permission from Facebook, started upload but the progress bar remained at 0% and eventually a window appeared with a message Failed to upload photo into facebook: api.facebook.com.

www.java.com reports "You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 22)."

Uploading photos works with Firefox under Windows XP using the same Facebook account.

Does anyone here upload photos successfully to Facebook please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwevej

Re: cannot upload photos to Facebook

Post by kwevej »

try Shotwell
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

I installed the latest Shotwell via ppa, i.e. version 0.7.2, and after clicking Publish and entering login data and clicking Login, nothing happens... the window looks as if I did not click the login button.

I run Mint KDE 9 LTS.

Kwevej, does shotwell work for you to upload photos on Facebook? Did you test it?
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

gnopak wrote: Kwevej, does shotwell work for you to upload photos on Facebook? Did you test it?
Yes, it does.
I import photos into Shotwell; select some of them; click at publish & it works like a charm
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

Thanks for confirmation that it works for you. I feel like a fool but it really does not work. I have vanilla Mint 9 KDE on two different computers. It does not work, both fail as described above. Anyone got any tips please?
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

This is the error message displayed in shotwell

Problem occurred while loading the URL https://login.facebook.com/login.php?lo ... y_return=1

Connection terminated unexpectedly
colyn

Post by colyn »

Do the file sizes you are trying to upload exceed facebook's size limit?

Check to see is they have an html uploader. I use the one with Zenfolio with no problems.

From their site:

Using the uploader
I'm having trouble uploading photos. I can’t upload any photos using the Advanced Uploader.
Please make sure you are using an unedited version of the image. Editi...
Please make sure you are using an unedited version of the image. Editing the photo using third party software may cause it to upload incorrectly or fail to upload entirely.

Please also make sure that the length or width of the photo you are uploading is not over three times longer than the other dimension.

Please note that we only support the uploading of .jpg, .gif, .bmp, and .png files.

The maximum file size is 15 MB.

Please make sure that you have the latest version of your browser installed and have also updated to the latest version of Java. If you continue to experience problems, please report this issue here.
/help/?faq=13265
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

colyn wrote:Do the file sizes you are trying to upload exceed facebook's size limit?
Check to see is they have an html uploader. I use the one with Zenfolio with no problems.
The files I try to upload do not exceed any limit. They are 200-300 kB. Thank you for relating that Zenfolio HTML uploader works. I can upload pictures using Linux Mint 9 KDE and Firefox to many sites, but not to Facebook. Facebook offers Simple Uploader. This is most likely what you call HTML uploader. Upon clicking the upload button, Simple Uploader enters a neverending circle - I described it in my previous posts.
colyn

Post by colyn »

gnopak wrote: Upon clicking the upload button, Simple Uploader enters a neverending circle - I described it in my previous posts.
I would have to say that facebook could be the problem or if you have a firewall enabled you will need to allow facebook.
gnopak

[SOLVED] cannot upload photos to Facebook

Post by gnopak »

Ivan Stenda in Czech Linux forum knew the right solution. "sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1000" to set the MTU to 1000.

Facebook does not like my standard MTU 1500. This completely fixed the issue. The unproven theory is that my provider is unable to carry full ethernet packets, sends them fragmented... and Facebook discards fragmented packets instead of reassembling them.

If anyone else has this problems, just use the line above to test this solution, then edit /etc/network/interfaces and add "mtu 1000" or similar there to have this solution work after reboot.

Return to “Software & Applications”