Antivirus

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ten

Antivirus

Post by ten »

Is it useful installing an anti virus on Linux mint 10?

Sorry for this question but I am a newbee in linux world

Regards :o
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Antivirus

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Check this topic for information on antivirus in Linux Mint.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 23&start=0
johnyreetz

Post by johnyreetz »

Anti virus is very useful for PC. Today kaspersky Internet security is one of the best anti virus.you can update it very easily .and it is most effective.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

johnyreetz,

Kaspersky antivirus is a program written for Windows and does not work in Linux. It is also rather expensive proprietary software and promoting it on this forum may be considered spam.

In any case, such advanced protection is not currently needed in Linux. Read the post I linked to in my first post for a complete explanation of the status of antivirus programs in Linux.
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kpearsonxyz »

Look at ClamAV which is in repository selection.

You can use it to scan SMBmounted filesystems on any M$ PCs you are unlucky enough to have in your network.
KpearsonXYZ
Registered Linux User 424918
(15 years on Linux before[/i ]registering)
Only Linux. All Linux. Full-time Linux.
Support Windows under duress, but do it good enough for gov'ment work.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I'd love to see some examples of where anti-virus has "protected" a Linux machine.
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

mardyfishh wrote:antivirus is used to protect the computer and loptop from different types of viruses.it is a software that should be installed in the computer for protectecting the computer.if antivirus is installed in the computer then computer is protected but not fully protected because sometime some virusses may effect the computer even computer is havinh the antivirus.so it is a good for computer.
Well that aside, clamav is useful inside linux IMHO, but for the most part really only needed to scan windows partitions and mail attachments, simply because we all know some one that uses windows and never installed a good AV inside of it and why pass on something possibly dangerous because of another's ignorance?

I also use clam for those acquaintances of mine that refuse to shell out for their windows AV so more often then not I find myself plugging it in my rig and scanning it with clam to clean it out, if your MOBO supports hotpluging it is neat to see in action
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

mardyfishh wrote:antivirus is used to protect the computer and loptop from different types of viruses.it is a software that should be installed in the computer for protectecting the computer.if antivirus is installed in the computer then computer is protected but not fully protected because sometime some virusses may effect the computer even computer is havinh the antivirus.so it is a good for computer.
samyjones wrote:Antivirus is used to protect the computer and loptop from different types of viruses. Antivirus used to prevent, detect, and remove computer viruses, worms, and trojan horses. Its also used to Internet security. Antivirus software can impair a computer's performance.
Same spammer.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

MALsPa wrote:
samyjones wrote:Antivirus is used to protect the computer and loptop from different types of viruses. Antivirus used to prevent, detect, and remove computer viruses, worms, and trojan horses. Its also used to Internet security. Antivirus software can impair a computer's performance.
Same spammer.
I've just wanted to say: another fu...ing spammer on the scene :x
:lol:
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:johnyreetz,

Kaspersky antivirus is a program written for Windows and does not work in Linux. It is also rather expensive proprietary software and promoting it on this forum may be considered spam.

In any case, such advanced protection is not currently needed in Linux. Read the post I linked to in my first post for a complete explanation of the status of antivirus programs in Linux.
I think that person is a spammer. Randomly mentioning some Windows based AV protection on a Linux forum.

Return to “Software & Applications”