[SOLVED]make problem with acerhk

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Foxen

[SOLVED]make problem with acerhk

Post by Foxen »

I have an Acer Aspire 5113WLMI laptop on which I've installed Mint 10, the positive aspects compared to last time I tried out linux on this computer is that now most things worked "out of the box"... Except those multimedia buttons, which wasn't surprising since they needed the module acerhk the last time around.

I googled and found a guide that involved the use of module-assistant and sure enough, there acerhk was... The problem is that once I press make in the utility the % bar shows up and after that nothing happens... I figured something wasn't all right with it when no progress or error messages had showed up for half an hour, killed the associated processes and downloaded the source code from http://freshmeat.net/projects/acerhk/
unpacked the source, installed kernel headers and dependencies using the package manager and finally ran make in the acerhk directory(did it as su in a gnome terminal) and absolutely nothing happens... the cursor blinks on a new line but nothing is output and the shell doesn't return to the prompt... breaking the process with ctrl+c returns to the prompt but not a sign of what didn't work out.

I tried running make with the -d -i and -n switches aswell but that didn't output anything useful at all, it appears that make hangs on something but I can't figure out what, does anyone have an idea what to look for?

Kernel version is 2.6.35-22-generic and it's the 32 bit edition of Julia with gnome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: make problem with acerhk

Post by viking777 »

I had a go with this and it wont compile for me either, even after altering the makefile to point to the linux headers directory. I guess there is something up with the makefile that is not immediately obvious. Not much help I know but I thought you might like to know it is not just you!
Foxen

Post by Foxen »

It's a comfort to know that others have this problem also, I was beginning to think that I might have forgotten something in the past three or four years since I last bumped my head with linux ;)
Foxen

Post by Foxen »

I think I've solved the problem with the non-compiling acerhk now, I downloaded the acerhkgui from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/acerhkgui/
this version includes the source for acerhk and will compile it if it's not on your system, for some reason this one was able to compile and I now have the module loaded, haven't figured out if it works yet but the fact that it compiled and installed sheds some hope here...

[EDIT]
Well, acerhk won't manually compile from the source within the acerhkgui package, but acerhkgui itself manages to compile a fully working acerhk.ko module and install it, though this time around I had to force my laptop model for it to work... now all my nifty multimedia keys and stuff work as it should so I'll call it quits...

Return to “Software & Applications”