Back In Time network destination

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Back In Time network destination

Post by chiefjim »

Looking at backup options I'm finding Back In Time to be a pretty good solution. I'd like to have the destination folder on a network drive at some time. Is there a simple way to enable that option?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
kwisher

Re: Back In Time network destination

Post by kwisher »

All you need to do is mount the network share location either via Samba or NFS. If the destination is another Linux box I highly recommend NFS. Below is a good how-to for setting up NFS.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

kwisher wrote:All you need to do is mount the network share location either via Samba or NFS. If the destination is another Linux box I highly recommend NFS. Below is a good how-to for setting up NFS.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=249889
I have the destination folder mounted. How ever when I go to "Select A Folder" inside Back In Time the folder doesn't appear as one of the available locations.
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

How are you mounting the share? I have quit using BackInTime but there is nothing special you have to do except select the mount location with a mouse click.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

kwisher wrote:How are you mounting the share? I have quit using BackInTime but there is nothing special you have to do except select the mount location with a mouse click.

Been using my tried and true method of using terminal: nautilus smb://192.168.1.107
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

chiefjim wrote:
kwisher wrote:How are you mounting the share? I have quit using BackInTime but there is nothing special you have to do except select the mount location with a mouse click.

Been using my tried and true method of using terminal: nautilus smb://192.168.1.107
I assume you meant: nautilus smb://192.168.1.107/sharename

That will produce a mountpoint in a hidden directory located at:

Code: Select all

/home/username/.gvfs/sharename on 192.168.1.107
In order to see it in Nautilus you need to enable it's view: Nautilus > Edit > Preferences > Show hidden and backup files.

Now the problem is does Back in Time see it?

You may need to go to a "Save As" dialog box and right click the file list and select "Show hidden files".

If it can't see a hidden directory at all you can create a symlink from there to a "real" directory. For example:

Code: Select all

ln -s /home/your_user_name/.gvfs/"sharename on 192.168.1.107" /home/your_user_name/BackupShare
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

chiefjim wrote:

Is this share on a Windows box? If so you might want to permanently mount it in your fstab file. If it is on a Linux box then I would suggest using NFS.

Return to “Software & Applications”