Legally Removing DRM From iTunes Library

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobNJ

Legally Removing DRM From iTunes Library

Post by RobNJ »

Hello, I' currently using a Windows partition for my iTunes & iPhone. I have too many tracks purchased with DRM to make copying them to a CD or DVD bearable. Would it be better to buy & run a legal DRM removal app, over on the Windows side ,then sync here in Linux? Or is there a Linux app that can do the job for me?

I'm curently using Linux Mint 10
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Legally Removing DRM From iTunes Library

Post by Carl »

RobNJ wrote:Hello, I' currently using a Windows partition for my iTunes & iPhone. I have too many tracks purchased with DRM to make copying them to a CD or DVD bearable. Would it be better to buy & run a legal DRM removal app, over on the Windows side ,then sync here in Linux? Or is there a Linux app that can do the job for me?

I'm curently using Linux Mint 10
Removing DRM is a grey area to begin with :wink: but I think it would be best to do a you suggest and find a program in windows to do it (more likely to exist and things to exploit) and then just copy them over to linux.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

I don't know about any Linux programs that will do what you want(I haven't looked), but I've used NoteBurner in the past and it works pretty well.

http://www.noteburner.com/convert-itunes-to-mp3.html

Basically it makes a virtual blank cd/dvd on your computer that you can burn the music to with iTunes. It then automatically converts it to mp3 as the music is being burned. Unfortunately it comes with a cost, but I know that it works well.
RobNJ

Post by RobNJ »

Thanks for the info!
voss749
Level 2
Level 2

Post by voss749 »

Rob, you may find that your protected music is available through "itunes plus" since many of the songs have been
converted to that format since then. They cost 30 cents per song to upgrade , the upgraded song is still ACC but is unprotected
and in 256 bit format. unprotected itunes songs can be played on linux players with no problem.

In the long run though you will want to switch to amazon music downloads all of their songs are unprotected mp3s for the
same or less than apple.

Return to “Software & Applications”