iceweasel troubles

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dante19992

iceweasel troubles

Post by dante19992 »

im trying to run iceweasel but it wont open
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: iceweasel troubles

Post by mzsade »

Try purge removing and reinstalling it again. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... rt-508701/
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

can u tell me how to do that? also i intend to aptitude remove firefox if u can tell me how to do that
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

"sudo apt-get --purge remove firefox iceweasel"
"sudo apt-get install iceweasel"

Don't use "aptitude" myself, and don't really know the difference so i hope this works for you.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

another thing it may be is that i might need to update SQlite. i may be wrong so im asking u but i installed icedove and it says i need to update SQlite to run it.

also i tried purgeing it but i got this

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --purge remove firefox iceweasel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 abrowser : Depends: firefox but it is not going to be installed
 abrowser-branding : Depends: firefox (= 3.6.12+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.10.1) but it is not going to be installed
 icedove : Depends: libjpeg62 (>= 6b1) but 6b-16.1 is to be installed
           Depends: libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.7.3) but 3.7.2-1 is to be installed
E: Unmet 
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

"sudo apt-get -f install iceweasel". Hopefully, this should fix the unmet dependencies.

Edit: sorry, run a "sudo apt-get remove iceweasel" before
Last edited by mzsade on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

im using mint 10 so i cant just install iceweasel i have to use dpkg cuz i cant get rid of firefox so it comes out like this

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install iceweasel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'firefox' instead of 'iceweasel'
firefox is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

also that link u gave me says to aptitude remove firefox and THEN install iceweasel
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Try removing firefox and iceweasel one at a time without using the purge option. Then install iceweasel. As i said i do not know of the difference in effect, of the two commands, (there is one) but you could try that too before we holler for somebody more knowledgeable to step in.
When installing iceweasel use the "f" option as before.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i cant remove firefox. mint 10 is crap. freedom my ass. im probly gonna just switch back to ubuntu
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

You try to tamper with the default system packages you are bound to run into some dependency issues, anyway, firefox and iceweasel are the more or less the same thing so what's the point of the exercise? Freedom is for those who can get their hands dirty with the linux kernel, modify it to suit them, for those who have the perseverance and the skills, not somebody like you and i, who couldn't write a script to save our lives. Good luck with Ubuntu, i have read it is very good.
Last edited by mzsade on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

used it basically the same thing. and iceweasel runs faster i heard cuz it is written SOLELY for linux

EDIT: i only rly switched cuz i dont like ubuntu's startup sound
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Heard, didja? Well you seem to have an inside connection then. And what exactly do you understand of the phrase "Linux means freedom". Do you even know what that freedom entails? Do you know what it implies? Do you think it means being able to juggle with packages from Synaptic or through the apt-get command? I can talk to you like this because you and i are equally out of our depths when commenting on the "freedom" or lack of it, in Linux.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

i think an operating system who claims "freedom" should have "freedom" completely. i shouldnt be forced to keep firefox on my system. i shouldnt be forced to choose firefox over iceweasel (also look up uninstall firefox on google ull probly find the thread i saw where the guy stated iceweasel is faster). i should be able to get rid of programns i dont want and install the ones i do want.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

The linux kernel is there for the taking, compile it, stack only those applications and Gui that you want on top of it and there you go, you will get the distro your little heart desires. Until you can do that make the most of what you get..don't you understand the concept of a distribution? It is fortunate that there are so many, i am sure there will be one where you can run iceweasel and also have the login sound of your choice.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

ubuntu has a way to change the start up sound but i never found it. mainly cuz i didnt kno about it. i just found this out.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

You are remarkably well informed, must be that inside link i was talking about. :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”